• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

sinamar

pepperford

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to add sinamar to my ingredient list and am having a problem. Anyone have a method of inputing the needed information. 4 ounces add 16 arm to 5 gallons. And knowing how geeky brewers can get, there are 590 drops in a fluid ounce. I've been brewing recipes from Shut Up About Barclay Perkins, and more than a few have colorant in them.

Hi,
  You can add it as a misc item but that won't alter the color of the estimated brew.

To actually have it affect color you would need to add it as a grain of some kind, but I have no idea how much color the sinamar adds compared to a grain?

Brad

As Brad points out, only grain (fermentables) are part of color calculations. Fermentables have to be expressed as a ratio of Lb/Gal or Kg/L.

Sinamar is a trademarked product of Weyermann and is 100% Carafa extract. According to their website, it has a starting color range of 3040 to 3200 Lovibond and an extract gravity of 55 Brix. What we have to do is convert those numbers into the ratio needed by BeerSmith.

Weyermann gives us two ways to approach the color. First is the color range of 3040 to 3200. The second is their instructions, which is 1.5 oz by weight (1.25 fluid oz) gives a barrel (31 gallons) 1* lovibond. Note the difference between the weight and volume measurements!

A gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs.

From the color range:
3040 / 8.33 = 370
3200 / 8.33 = 384

From the instructions we first convert the weight dosage into lbs per barrel, then per gallon:
16 / 1.5 = 10.66 for 1 lbs conversion.
1.5 * 10.66 = 16 lovibond in 31 gallons
16 * 31 = 496

From 370 to 496 lovibond is quite a large range. An addition of 4 fluid ounces in 5 gallons would contribute ~15 to ~20 lovibond. That's enough to push gold into copper and copper into brown. I use the 384 lovibond color for my calculations and can reliably predict color with it.

The weight of Sinamar brings a specific gravity issue. At 53 brix, it's a light syrup. Again, we turn this into a lb/gal ratio. Brix is already an expression of weight, so we just convert that to specific gravity and divide it into a gallon of water.

53 brix = 1.250, aka 250 gravity points.
250 / 8.33 = 1.030

Sinamar then offers these specs for BeerSmith:

Type: Extract
Max: 10%
Color: 384
Potential 1.030

Maltoferm is another colorant sold by homebrew stores. It is a product of Briess as both a liquid and dry extract made from their Blackprinz malt. The liquid extract has the following specs:

Type: Extract
Max: 10%
Color: 350
Potential: 1.036

Both Sinamar and Maltoferm are slightly fermentable. Around 25% to 30% of the weight is fermentable extract.

Back