• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tuns Problems

D

deerelk4x4

I have created a mush tun, as shown below, from a coleman 28-Qt cooler.  Unfortuanely it didn't have a drain spout in it so I had to make my own.  now I have a problem of leakage from my drain line hole, that cases me to lose about a gallon of sweet wort during my mashing process.  Any help with sealing up my tun would be greatly appreciated.  I have tried a submersible silisone for food grade use and that didn't seem to work at all.  I still lose fluids.  I really want a good working tun, without having to go buy another unit.

Attachments

• IMAG0010.JPG
    IMAG0010.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 594
  • IMAG0011.JPG
    IMAG0011.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 485
  • IMAG0014.JPG
    IMAG0014.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 491
I think you may have drilled your hole too close to the bottom curvature of the tun. I would suggest a mechanical type fitting like above and gaskets and Good luck.

Thanks for the input.  I will see what I can do with the tun I have for my next batch.  If the leak doesn't stop, then onward and upward to a bigger and better unit. (Thanks bonjour for the cross link and to Frugal for the insight of my hole placement.)

Back