BeerSmith™ Home Brewing Forum

Brewing Topics => Brewing Discussion => Topic started by: mcgsmanor on January 22, 2008, 08:23:05 AM

Title: Fermentation Question
Post by: mcgsmanor on January 22, 2008, 08:23:05 AM
Hello-first time brewer and site user and I have a question
I brewed a batch of stout, which took off like a rocket in the primary fermenter.  the OG was 1.050, which was at the top end of what the kit stated it would be.  It fermented vigorously for about a day, then stopped.  The temperature in my basement fluctuated, but I put a heating pad on it and the temp stabilized to about 66-68 (I live in MN).  Then nothing.  So, after a few days I took a hydrometer reading, and it read 1.025.  I waited, then took another which was 1.020 (this was higher than the range the kit said, but I was also factoring in my inexperience reading the hydrometer).  So, I waited a few more days, another reading said 1.020, so I racked into my carboy.  There was a brief pickup (maybe a few hours) then back to just sitting.  I waited a week, took a reading, 1.020, so I figured it would be bottling time.  However, about 5 days ago the fermentation went nutso-bubbling away like mad.  It finally slowed, where it is just blurbling once or twice a minute, but we are now entering the third week in the carboy.  I know I should wait to bottle (I am REALLY excited about brewing my own beer!), and I am going to wait, but I just fear that I did something wrong, or that the beer is going to be ruined.  Any help or advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.  thanks!
Title: Re: Fermentation Question
Post by: GrantLee63 on January 22, 2008, 06:30:40 PM
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew !!!  Seriously, I think you will be fine .... just give it more time in the secondary until your SG readings are consistent.  What kind of stout is this by the way?  I've made a few cream stouts (with lactose added) and have had FG's between 1.015 and 1.025 - depending on my mash temps.  My guess is that you made this from an extract kit, but if there was lactose in it, your FG will be somewhat higher than if there were not.

- GL63
Title: Re: Fermentation Question
Post by: mcgsmanor on January 22, 2008, 07:15:04 PM
Yes-it was an extract kit from Midwest-the traditional stout 20 min boil kit.  I will wait until it stops blurbling and then take another hydrometer reading.  This is probably a good time to plan the next brew!  Thanks!
Title: Re: Fermentation Question
Post by: mcgsmanor on January 28, 2008, 10:45:05 AM
Okay-so the beer is blurping at about 1 blurp every two minutes.  Is it okay to remove the airlock and take a reading?  Will that introduce air and contaminate the beer?  Do I just wait until there are no bubbles, or is there a rate that is better?  Thanks!