• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What Are The Best Books For Homebrewers?

I have a ton of brewing books, but a few really stand out as must-haves, IMO.

For starters, How to Brew, 4th ed., by John J. Palmer, is an obvious choice.
Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew might be a good 2nd book for developing your brewing skills..
The Brewing Elements Series (Water, For the Love of Hops, Yeast, and Malt) provide a comprehensive look at the four components of brewing ingredients.
For a deeper dive into hops, try The New IPA, by Scott Janish.
All-grain homebrewers at the intermediate level might find Gordon Strong's Brewing Better Beer to be helpful.
Radical Brewing, by Randy Mosher, is a good source of ideas if you want to color outside the lines in your homebrew designs.
And just learning about the flavors, aromas and characteristics of the different beer styles is key. Check out Mosher's Tasting Beer.
For an encyclopedic look at everything beer, get The Oxford Companion to Beer, by Garrett Oliver.

I have two that I have been using a lot, so they are pretty dog-eared:). Those are How to Brew, of course, and Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff and Palmer. The latter has really been helpful as a guide to designing recipes for the different styles - and to the styles - and the recipes in it are great in themselves.

Scott Janish has done a marvellous job with that book. It's up there with the other two. I'm just hoping he - or someone as capable - will write a yeast book along the same lines, i.e. presenting scientific studies in that way. Yeast is what I'm really pining to understand better! White and Zainasheff leave me unsatisfied, though their Yeast is still a useful book.

Randy Mosher is fun. That's a book worth owning, too. Though I'm only brewing very straight beers:).

I'm rather sceptical about Strong's book. I disagree with him on several points - and the problem is that it's all very subjective.

One book I'll recommend is Dave Carpenter's Lager. Not the least because it's such a sensible book:). Read it, and you can talk sensibly about lagers.

Some other good books: Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski, Brew like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus and IPA by Mitch Steele. I could mention other's worth reading, too, but these are really good ones.

Last edited:
I do have Carpenter's Lager--agree, it's an excellent primer.

BTW, a couple niche books worth looking into if anyone is interested in German beers. Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer, by Andreas Krennmair, and Vienna Lager, by the same author. In Historic, the author gives the basics of several styles, along with some example recipes--a good overview of the styles. Vienna Lager delves well into the style, even discussing the derivative Mexican lagers.

The BA Classic Beer Styles book series can be interesting. These were published in the '90s, so some of the homebrewing processes may appear a bit dated. But the history they present for each style makes them worth to money if you are interested in that aspect. I found most of them, used, on Amazon.

I don't think the OP is asking for book suggestions. He/she is promoting their Youtube channel.

I don't think the OP is asking for book suggestions. He/she is promoting their Youtube channel.
I agree, but it was interesting to read about some other's favorites. They overlap with many of mine.

In that case then here is what is always sitting within arms reach on my bookshelf. The ones in bold are the titles I keep going back to more than the others.

by Ron Pattinson
- The Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer
- Scotland
- Scotland II
- Let's Brew
- 1909 Style Guide
- Strong
- Strong II
- Brown Beer

(Compilation of 4 period publications) - 18th and Early 19th Century Brewing

John Palmer's - How To Brew (4th edition)
Randy Mosher - Mastering Homebrew
Gordon Strong - Modern Homebrew Recipes
Stan Hieronymus - Brew Like A Monk
Peter Symons - Guile Brews

yeah, I do need to get hold of some of what Pattinson has written! Martyn Cornell is an other good beer historian; I've enjoyed his The Story of the Pint.

A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B, the vast majority of my content is targeted towards the beginner. But yeah, sure why not promote it while I'm doing it? I plan on doing a second part to this video, if there's any book you'd like me to touch on please feel free to let me know. Cheers!

Back