• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain update and yeast slurry

Airik

New Forum Member
Reaction score
As per the title,

There are a few Malts I can’t find in the add-ons (most recently the weyermann barke pilsner), would be nice with an update.

Also I would like to be able to pick “slurry” for yeast. Either slurry from a decanted starter or from a previous batch of beer.
Thickness and age would be good inputs in order to get an assessment of the yeast viability.

Both are things that you can add yourself. For the malts, go to ingredients/fermentables, select "Add Fermentable" and fill in the relevant information for the malt. For the slurry, go to ingredients/yeast, select a product, make a copy (using copy/paste) and alter the name to include slurry and your designation for thickness. Any other information can be in the notes box.

The problem I have with the malts is that not all suppliers give all the info, for instance I can’t find the “yield” for barke pilsner and I’m not sure if the pre-set value is accurate.

For slurry, if it was it’s own function, beersmith could do a viability count for me, how viable is a yeast cake? How viable is a 2 day old vs a 7 day old slurry? Does the starter OG factor in? Etc. of course I could try and find this information on my own but that’s true for everything the program does…

So its a wish because it’d simplify my process.

This from the Weyermann site: https://www.weyermann.de/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Weyermann_Barke_Pilsner_Malt_Specification.pdf

As for the slurry, if you go to tools/yeast starter and click on the Yeast Starter Settings box, you can enter your estimates and the tool will do the calculations you're looking for. Understand that software can't physically do a cell count or count viable cells, so the results will be estimates based partly on your inputs.

Judging from your posts, you're unsure of what tools BeerSmith includes and how to use them. Here's a link to a bunch of videos that will guide you through many of the features:

Thank you for the vidoes and for the slurry tip. You're right that I'm new to the software.

As for the Weyermann specifications, I did look at that when entering in the Malt but it does not (as far as I can see) give me numbers for the fields potential, yield, diastic power in Lintner or Coarse Fine Difference. Moisture content and protein was specified.
Or am I just not reading it correctly?

European maltsters often use different indices than we do. Here's a link that will explain some of them:
You can use your favorite search engine to find definitions of parameters not covered in the article.

Back