• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"0" minute & dry hop additions to batch

Broyler58

Apprentice
Reaction score
When do I add hops at zero minutes?  Is it right as I start the wort chiller?  Do I add dry hops after fermentation, in my case, in the keg?  Thanks.

Zero Minutes is also Flame out.  When you turn off the flame / heat at the end of the boil.  Toss in the zero minute hops.

Dry hops are usually added to the fermenter after the end of fermentation.  I usually have my beer in the carboy 10 - 14 days.  I will add dry hops around day 10 unless the recipe calls for something different.  I usually leave them in 3 - 5 days.

You can dry hop in the keg as well.  You will want to suspend the hop in the keg or you will clog the output.  You can tie them to the dip tube or suspend them with flat dental tape.  Sanitize everything. I have keg dry hopped a few times. I have not seen a substantial benefit in keg dry hops versus fermenter.  I don't do it anymore. 

When yer Mucking the Glim  it's time to  apply that last 0 minute addition

The HEX will change the temperature rather fact reducing the amount of goodness you'll get from that last addition.

I'm not a fan of Zero.  I can't convince myself that there's sufficient time to accomplish much at all, so I usually do my last addition  in time to let the boil have at least a  minute or two to work the hops.

CR said:
When yer Mucking the Glim  it's time to  apply that last 0 minute addition

The HEX will change the temperature rather fact reducing the amount of goodness you'll get from that last addition.

I'm not a fan of Zero.  I can't convince myself that there's sufficient time to accomplish much at all, so I usually do my last addition  in time to let the boil have at least a  minute or two to work the hops.
+1 I get a lot more character from dry hopping versus the "0" minute addition.  I just don't get that.  Dry hopping the keg has given me the best aroma and body character, FWIW

Infact, I did an all late hop addition APA and I was not impressed.

The pro's do a lot of whirlpool additions which is akin to 0 minute stirring it up and letting it set a good 20 minutes.

I am a strong proponent of dry hopping instead of zero hopping as well.  I exclusively dry hop all of my beers. When it comes to aroma I think dry hopping is far superior!

I have always done my zero at flame out but let steep for 10 15 20 minutes with a lid on it ..... But yeah you will do just as well to dry hop. Though you will get a bit more acid off the hops since they are introduced to heat for that short time ....

I'm always worried about contamination when I dry hop.  I put my hops in a bag and toss them in to the fermenter.  Does anyone take any special precautions when dry hopping?  Sanitizing the bag maybe? If not, why aren't precautions necessary?

The bag & the dental floss would probably need sanitizing, but alcohol present in the secondary and the anti bacterial qualities of the hops should keep your beer safe.

econolinevan said:
The bag & the dental floss would probably need sanitizing, but alcohol present in the secondary and the anti bacterial qualities of the hops should keep your beer safe.

This is absolutely Correct

I have always just tossed my hops directly into secondary and I have yet to have a batch get infected.

Bootlegbrewer said:
I have always just tossed my hops directly into secondary and I have yet to have a batch get infected.

Not sure but thats not the issue .. an no sh!t why would have an infection in 2ndary with dry hopping it is almost impossible
...on a side note glad to hear your dry hoping evernyone should ...........just for poops and laughs .. it's only going to make your brew better ......all day

The alpha acids in the hops act as an antibiotic for gram-positive bacteria like Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.  Dry hopping is safe "Infection from the hops just doesn't happen" (How to Brew Ch. 5).  You still need to be sure everything that touches the beer (hoses, funnels, fermentation vessels, etc) are sanitized.  There are other bacteria that are resistant to alcohol and the PH level and can affect the beer. Some do not impart off flavors but can cause under attenuation and some cause cloudy beer.

Wow! A lot here, all GOOD!  We come down on the side favoring "0" minuit hops. We have tried Dry Hopping and don't enjoy the Grassy taste. Just our personal prederence.

We add our "0" hops as said, at flame out. We let them steep for at least 20 min. This can be recorded in BeeSmith by nameing it "Aroma" hops and entering the 20 min steep time. Note that by not boiling there is no IBU addition. We do use a large hop bag. We do use whole or leaf hops. We just dump them ito the bag ans gently stir them in.
Then just let the pot sit for the 20 min. After the 20 min steep, we remove the hop bag and drain it into the wort.

Its very simple. We like the the taste we get as some of the hop oil stays on your lips for a few seconds after you take a drink. This give a nice taste along with the aroma.
Do be careful though. Use brown bottles, a brown jug, or keg.  We have had some we had in a clear jug go skunky after a day or two in the fridge. We never have had this happen to batches that didn't use "0" min hops. The Princess says we just need to drink faster!  :p

Preston

Back