• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

+1 for adding magnesium chloride

Dadogo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Loving the new water management tools in BS3!

When used with the salts already included MgCl2 would really help hit the water profiles dead on.

Thanks!

I'm confused, MgSO4 was in bs2, and its in BS3 as well.

are you stating you'd like to see MgCl2? I'll agree with that.

Lots of folks would like to see CaOH2 as well for adjusting ph up instead of the limited adjustments provided by Chalk and Baking soda

Ah crap, yea I meant MgCl2 6H2O

Thanks for pointing that out

Actually it would be the best to include 'salt' type addition, where user would specify by himself how many ions of which kind that salt brings in. CaCl2 for instance is available as anhydrous or hydrated with different amount of water (2- and 6-hydrate being most common) - 1g of CaCl2(H2O)x brings different amounts of Ca and Cl into wort. Same for CaSO4.  BS for now (I didn't check thoroughly though) calcuates as if all salts were anhydrous.

Other improvement would be a checkbox for adding salts to mash only, ie. overal water profile is calculated against total volume, but mash pH against mash volume only. Or to differentiate when salts are added (mashing, sparge water, kettle). Adding all salts into mash is quite a common technique for brewers using with RO water that contains close to none ions, allowing 'oversparging' with runoffs never reaching ph of 6.

tibek said:
Adding all salts into mash is quite a common technique for brewers using with RO water that contains close to none ions, allowing 'oversparging' with runoffs never reaching ph of 6.

Can confirm ;)

Back