• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1 Yeast Stater for 2 Brew

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I will be brewing 2 batches of beer in one day.  The 2 brews will be identical.  I would like to use 1 pack of liquid yeast.  Each brew needs a 1 liter starter.  I have one stir plate and 1 flask for the stater.  The flask is 2 liter.  Can I make a 2 liter starter and just pitch 1 liter into each brew?  I would have the starter mixed on each pitch so each brew would get the same amount of starter and yeast.  Does this sound right?  Or would I be under pitching the yeast because I am starting with only 1 liquid yeast pack?  Should I use 2 packs of liquid yeast?

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!!

Ive done that in the past with no issues.  The only downside is that you can't decant the starters because you'll want to keep the yeast in suspension to get as close to a true 50/50 split as possible.  With 1L starters, though, that's not a big deal.  Do it! :D

Back