• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

15 Gallon Blichmann Boilmaker for 5 gallon batches

noreaster

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a new boil kettle and have pretty much settled on a Blichmann. I only brew 5 gallon batches but am considering some 10 gallon batches in the future. I was going to get the 10 gallon kettle but am now considering the 15 gallon kettle for the occasional 10 gallon batch. I know Blichmann recommends the 20 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches but I know someone who does his 10 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle so I know it works. So my question is does anyone do 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle and, if so, how does it work for you? Thanks.

I have a keggle, 15 gallons, and have done the occasional 5 gallon brew in it with no troubles. If you buy a 15 gallon pot, you will leave yourself lots of room to expand your brewing capacity. I have brewed 12 gallons in the keggle as well, but you have to keep a very close eye on boil over. You don't leave yourself a lot of room for expansion at that volume. And that blichmann pot is the first step toward a herms or rims system down the road. But I think the jist of your question is whether it will harm your beer to boil a little wort in a big container. Not that I know of, and it might even boil quicker because you'll have a lot of surface area on the outside of the boiler to soak up heat.

I do 10 gallon batches in a 15.5 gal keggle brew pot . Works fine for me but boil overs do occur.

I keep a spray bottle handy with cold water in it and spray the wort when it gets close to a boil over.  It knocks the foam back and keeps it from pouring out. Works great ;D ;D

I brewed a 5 gallon batch in my 15 gallon kettle.
It works ok but the mash didn't reach the thermometer. I had to use the old school thermometer. Kind of defeats the purpose.
I used 10 pounds of grain for the 5 gallon batch. If I would have used 12 pounds or more, it would have reached the thermometer.
I like to keep mine around 5-6% ABV or I get too messed up. I like to taste the beer, not fall over face first in it.
The effienciey was lower than usual but not terrible.
I would suggest making 10 gallon batches most of the time.
It only takes an extra hour and the effienciey is much better in a 15 gallon kettle. It's also easier to let it age if you make 10 gallon batches.
I always tap one of the kegs before it's really ready to drink. Still good beer but much better if you wait a month or so.

Kevin J

I use the 15 gal for my mash tun and a 20 gal for my boil. However, I could see using the 15 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batch boils as long as you keep a close eye out for boil overs. Just off the top of my head I'd say the 20 gallon might make whirlpooling a little easier. I use a paint stirrer on my cordless drill and really get the wort spinning. What I would question is if I wanted to do 5 gallon batches in a 20 gallon boilermaker? I'm not convinced yet that I would. I don't "think" the wort would even reach the thermometer, I'd have to look. 
I don't know what you're using for a mash tun right now but you could easily use the 15 gallon kettle as a mash tun should you elect to buy the 20 gallon Boilermaker in the future. All you'd need to add is the false bottom.

I say do it, the 15 is a good versatile size that you will always use for something.

Bruce

Back