• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1st ever hard cider problems - cider experts help!

jbeer32

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have been home brewing for a couple of years now.  About a week ago I received 5 gallons of freshly pressed pesticide free apple juice from my brother.  The first thing I did was place the 5 gallons into a sanitized bucket.  I then took out a small sample and dissolved 5 crushed campden tablets in it and stirred it in with the rest of the batch, placed a lid on the bucket with an airlock and waited 50 hours.  Next, I checked the OG, aerated very well with a paddle on a drill, added some yeast nutrient and pitched the yeast.  The yeast was a Wyeast smack pack and I pitched it when the pack became so swollen that it was almost hard to the touch.  Tonight (10/31) at 7 pm it will have been 6 whole days since I pitched the yeast and I still have no signs of fermentation.  It is currently in my basement which is at 63 degrees which is within the ideal range for my yeast (60-72.)  I checked the gravity last night and it has not changed.  Everything I have read tells me fermentation should start within a couple of days but I do not consider 6 to be a couple and I am worried having never done cider before.  Can a cider expert here give me some advice/insight!  Much appreciated!

I'm interested to know if you have been able to save this batch.  I had a similar thing happen with a batch of plums I received.  I washed and crushed the fruit in a brew bucket with water and some sugar.  Then I killed off any bacteria with potassium metabisulphite, waited a few days and pitched the yeast.  4 days went by with no action.  It was suggested to me that I used too much PM and that I should try pitching more yeast.  So, after another pitch and 2 more days it finally started.  So if you are kind of nearing the end of your attempt, worst case, try putting some EC-1118 on your cider and prepare to back sweeten it.

Hews,

I hope I can save this batch.  On 11/03, I pitched a new yeast starter after reaerating the crap out of the batch again and here it is 4 days later and no signs of fermentation yet in that the gravity has not moved.  It is currently sitting in a 65 degree room.  After emailing northern brewer he told me that everything that I have read on the internet about adding campden tablets is not true.  He said that on bigger than 3 gallon batches, only 2/3 of a tablet is needed which would mean that I initially added too much with my 1 tablet per gallon.  I have already added 1 wyeast smack pack and a full starter as well.  How much yeast can I possibly add before it is too much?  If it is the sulfite that is inhibiting the fermentation, how to get it moving on?  Thanks.

Back