• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1st time at kegging

pl36aflk

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just ordered my 5 gal corny keg system (ball lock) I am kegging hefe weizen, I will be racking into the keg at 68 degrees, do I turn on the co2 and then let it chill??? If so what would be a good starting pressure? I have read alot of articles and there alot of different opinions on this subject I want to do this as simple as possible any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!

You can follow this page and the key is to get your system balanced or you will pour glasses of foam. 
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I buy my cobra taps form MoreBeer already cut to length and put together.

After transferring to my freshly sanitized keg, I crash the temp to 34F. 
I have the CO2 regulator set around 25 or 30 PSI (Meh, close counts ). 

I leave it there a couple days then reduce it to 11 or 12PSI which is my normal settings for nearly all beers.  I did increase it a little on the last Hefe I made as I prefer that style with more CO2.

I server sometime after the third day (to be fully forthright, I might tap some sooner than that) usually after a week of conditioning.

I prefer the set and forget it method, it might take a week to carbonate but it sure beats over carbonating your keg and having to purge the pressure off. The hole key is liquid temperature, Co2 pressure and then line length. 

I had an instance where brew crept up the gas line and into my regulator, and it hasn't worked right since.

In hindsight I would get valves that don't allow that to happen.

Back