• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

2nd brew, instructions did not match ingredients

J

jIM

I have a Mr Beer kit

I made one batch in spring which mixed booster (in hot water) then called for adding a mixture to booster for the wort, which was then added to keg, then added yeast, then fermented, then bottled.

My second batch came with no booster.  I had two cans of stuff.  One was the beer mix, I believe the other was extract of hops and similar.

I did not have instructions for what to do with "two cans of stuff", only instructions for the starter kit which had booster and one can.

So I heated water, added the extracted hops, brought to a boil, then added beer mix, then added to keg, which is now in 25th hour of fermenting.

Anyone know if the process changes for the "two cans" vs the "one can plus booster" instructions.

Thanks

I'd suggest replacing your kit specific instructions with Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing".
There are other books out there, but this one is by far the most entertaining and fun to read.
Following a set of instructions is pretty frustrating if you don't know why you are doing what you are doing.
This book will explain the entire process in plain language (as opposed to boring textbook style language) such that by the end you will either give up the hobby or max-out your credit card on new toys.

I've been brewing for most of a decade and still use it for reference on a regular basis.

Back