• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

50% oat grain bill

Neil

Apprentice
Reaction score
Recently brewed up a batch that had 25% flaked oats 25% malted oats and 50% 2 row. My question is when I go to carb this beer will it need higher volumes of C02 in it because of all the oats?

Carb Method- Spike Carb stone
Vessel- 2 Spike CF5's

I don't think so. I've only had one batch that took longer than others to carbonate, it was a milkshake IPA with fruit (in secondary, not in the keg), lactose and vanilla. My guess is that the lactose was the culprit, but not sure about that.

No.  Volumes of CO2 are volumes of CO2.  If you set the pressure to get, say, 3.0 volumes for a given storage temperature, then when it reaches equilibrium at the temperature you store the keg at you will have 3.0 volumes.  The oats will probably change the mouthfeel; so for the same volumes of CO2 you carbonate at versus an all-barley beer, you may find a difference in how that carbonation level affects your impression of body.

Viscosity (even one so slight as an oat beer vs an all barley beer) will affect the rate of carbonation but not the saturated volume of CO2 into the liquid.  I can fill a keg with water and carbonate to 3.0 volumes of CO2 in the water with the same settings I would use for beer.  If ending gravity, viscosity, or composition of the liquid inside the keg being carbonated made a difference, you would see multiple carbonation charts to account for the various types of fluids which may be in the keg. 

Back