• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

7 day total fermenting???

D

dreed

Hey guys,
  I just did my first batch of beer.  It was the Wizard Wheat kit from Homebrew Heaven with the dried yeast pouch.  I brewed on the 10th and had an SG of 1.051 at 70*.  After 8 hours the bubbling was really rapid.  I transfered to my secondary on the 13th after the bubbling went down to once every 1.5 minutes (if that).  The SG then was 1.013 at 66*.  I went out of town for a few days and got back on the 17th to find I have a SG of 1.012 at 69*.  I tasted it and it was pretty good so I bottled it up.  Can this be normal?  Did I rush the bottling?  It just seems wierd that I see everyone going weeks to get it all done and mine might have been done in just this short time.  Maybe I got lucky the first time out???

The beer is actually pretty clear and tastes good.  I'm going to wait a week to test one of the bottles.  I came up with a batch that was 6 bottles shy of 2 cases.  I'm loving this stuff.

Thanks
Dave

some yeast will finish in a week it just depends.  But you always take atleast a few days of gravity reading in a row to make sure it is done.  At 1.012 it probably is but I like to safe to avoid bottle bombs :'(

This is probably just me but I almost never secondary unless I am dry hopping and want to reuse the yeast.

Don

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, it's too late.  I already bottled it up.  I went to the secondary for clarity.  Then I went back to the primary so I could mix in the priming sugar without disturbing the mess at the bottom.  The beer turned out real clear and tasted good.  I'll see in a few more days if it's good to go.  I want it to be good before my father in law leaves so he can try one.  He used to do it years ago with potatoes and didn't even cook it. 

I think I'm good to go with this batch.  It just seems weird to see everyone going weeks on different stages and I go days with a low budget yeast and on my first time.  Maybe it's the first that goes great to get you hooked. 

I'll make the batch slightly bigger so I can take a few more readings. 

Thanks
Dave

Well, I tasted the beer and it is actually really good.  It's actually very clear which is not what I've seen in wheats.  At least not the ones I've tasted.  Either way, it's good. 

Can you get an headache from a chemical or something in the beer?  I've had 2 now and after each (a few hours after) I get a headache like it's an ending hangover headache.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Thanks
Dave

As long as it is good ;D that is all that matters.

I don't get a headache ???

I put a few in the fridge.  They are not as clear as they were when warm but man it's good tasting now.   

Has anyone tried a wheat beer with honey, strawberries or peaches in it?  In the primary that is. I want to make a batch my wife will like.  She wants a light beer with a fruity hint (or strong for that matter) to drink.  If I can make her a good one like that, she'll get off my back about my stuff. 

Thanks
Dave

I've just finished bottling a batch of Brewers Best Weizenbier with 1 pound of Honey.  After bottling half, 1 added some raspberry.  I'll tell you how it turned out in a few weeks.  So far I've made the Weizenbier and the Red Ale.  Funny, I wasn't that much of a beer drinkers before.  Now I really enjoy the taste!  I've also just finished bottling my first batch of wine.  A Pinot Noir but I'll have to wait ~4 months to tell you how that turned out.  Enjoy.

Hey dreed,  when you bottle, get some flavor extract and pour a certain amount and measure out the extract and adjust according to your wife's taste, whether you put more in or not.  hope this helps a little.  Cheers!
Jeremy

dreed said:
Well, I tasted the beer and it is actually really good.  It's actually very clear which is not what I've seen in wheats.  At least not the ones I've tasted.  Either way, it's good. 

Can you get an headache from a chemical or something in the beer?  I've had 2 now and after each (a few hours after) I get a headache like it's an ending hangover headache.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Thanks
Dave
I get headaches within 5 minutes of drinking some wheat beers.  It's an alergy and I avoid wheat beers (as does my wife) in part because of the headaches.

dreed said:

Maybe I'm just weird.

Thanks
Dave

Alcohol can be a trigger for headaches.  When I was in my 40's I passed through a periiod of suffering from cluster headaches.  Beer would set them of when I was in that cluster range.

Well, I seem to have had 3 bottles that might not have been cleaned thoroughly because the rest of them are great.  I like this beer but would like to adjust it some and have the recipe myself.  Too bad they don't share it.  I'll start working towards my own.  I have about 12 bottles left.  I just picked up a few cornelious kegs and will be kegging soon.  I'm going to use the bottles for the batch of mead I just did.  It tastes like a wine almost but is 9.69% ABV acording to BeerSmith.  It tastes good but an 8 oz glass of it with on beer really can get me buzzing.  Wow!  The wife thinks it's OK so I'll try more honey next time.  This is a dry mead so I can bottle but I pulled some out at a semi sweet stage and it's good. 

I need to research more beer styles that are to my liking.  I'd like to start on my own recipes. 

Thanks everyone for the info and tips.  I'm really enjoying it. 

Back