• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

90 minutes IPA clone: continuous hopping

BitterTaste

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm going to brew a clone of Dogfish Head's 90 minutes IPA this saturday.

I have some trouble with setting of Beer Smith software: how I can set the continuous hopping??

Please help me!!!!

I recently did a 90 Min Dogfish style IPA.  I added hops after 30 minutes into the boil(90 min boil) at 5 minute increments.  You can make it 1 minute between additions or less, but I figured 5 was fine.  It worked pretty well, at least the beer is good!  My trouble came with fermentable additions into the secondary & tertiary stages.  I hit my overall target of 10.8 ABV before racking to secondary and adding 1lb corn sugar(and 1 oz hops).  After 14 days my ABV was 10.6.  I added another 1lb of corn sugar and oz of hops.  After 21 days I finished with a ABV of 10.4. ??  It is a heck of a lot stronger than it was at the end of the primary, I bottled 2 bottles w/ CO2 for a comparrison.

Thank you for your suggestion dear PetenNewburg but I want to know how I can set Beeer Smith software to make me easly insert a continuous hop stage during boiling.

I have choice to add hops every 10 minutes but I reach an IBU value of 127 when I target 90 IBU.

Beersmith does not have a "continuous hopping" option.  So, what Peter suggested to you is really the only way to "simulate" a continuous program.  If your IBUs are still high, then you will have to reduce the amount of each addition.  There just isn't any other way with the software today. 

Peter, did you raise your "OG" to account for the additional sugar added when calculating final ABV?  I know its rather obvious and I don't ask to be insulting...but, we've all had that "Doh!" moment a time or two.  What were your gravity readings before and after adding each sugar addition?  And what was your actual OG before fermentaion?

Dear Tom, do you know think it would be introduced this feature in the future?

Rager uses five-minute increments, and Tinseth three, so any attempt at this would require much mathematical interpolation or some serious rounding. 

You could approximate it yourself by entering hop additions in BSmith at every three minutes to match the Tinseth model that added up to the total quantity of hops. 

http://www.beersmith.com/Help/estimating_bitterness_tech.htm
http://realbeer.com/hops/research.html

tom_hampton said:
Peter, did you raise your "OG" to account for the additional sugar added when calculating final ABV?  I know its rather obvious and I don't ask to be insulting...but, we've all had that "Doh!" moment a time or two.  What were your gravity readings before and after adding each sugar addition?  And what was your actual OG before fermentaion?

Tom, I used BeerSmith to figure estimated OG with & without sugar additions.  My actual OG without sugar additions was 1.076, estimate was 1.073.  Estimate with sugar additions was 1.088.  I did take readings after each stage, but did not take "new" OG readings after adding the additional sugar.  I did not want to waste any more beer than absolutely necessary.  I need to get a refractometer.  I did bottle the samples at the end of each stage with CO2, very interesting results.
  I have lots of those “duh” moments, I blame it on enjoying the recreational chemicals back in the late 60’s & 70’s.  I enjoy reading your posts, you certainly enjoy perfecting every nuance of brewing!!  Keep up the great work!

Back