• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ability to remove date from recipe - bump

F

Fuzzuy

I read a post from a while back from Blackcows on being able to remove the date from a recipe.  I totally agree!  I would like to know if there is a way to remove the date from a recipe.  What I do is have a folder where I store all my recipes, whether I have brewed them or not, I used that folder to hold recipes I am considering brewing in the future.  Once I choose one to brew, I move it to a different folder where I then will put in the date I brewed it on.

In the past, this was not a problem, but now with the new calendar feature in Beersmith - I have recipes showing up in the calendar that I did not brew showing fermentation, aging , etc times. 

It would be nice to zero out the date for those kind of recipes.  Any chance of this?

Fuzzy,
  Have you tried changing the calendar display options?  For example you can tell it to only show recipes that have your name listed as the brewer.

Cheers!
Brad

What I have done as a work around it to keep my recipies in a seprate folder and mark them all with a date of 1/1/2000 and then when I move them to my brewlog I change to the date I brewed.

Mike

It would be nice to have it only put what is in your brewlog in your calender, or give you a no date option on brew date in the recipe screen.

Yes,
  I think a "No date" option might be a very nice addition.

Brad

"No Date" would indeed be a welcome option. I also keep my master recipes in the "My Recipes" folder and copy them to the Brewlog as I brew them. That gives me two versions, one that details how a particular beer should be brewed and one that shows how it actually was brewed, which depends on what the homebrew shop had in stock, whether I hit my mash temps or not and all of the other variables that make this fun. Those recipes need dates. The master recipes don't, and in fact are somewhat more cumbersome because of the date function.

Chad

Chad Ward said:
"No Date" would indeed be a welcome option. I also keep my master recipes in the "My Recipes" folder and copy them to the Brewlog as I brew them. That gives me two versions, one that details how a particular beer should be brewed and one that shows how it actually was brewed, which depends on what the homebrew shop had in stock, whether I hit my mash temps or not and all of the other variables that make this fun. Those recipes need dates. The master recipes don't, and in fact are somewhat more cumbersome because of the date function.
I agree.  It is rare that I am actually creating a recipe with the intent of brewing it that day, and most of the time I'm not even sure if I'll brew it soon, or at all - I am just adding a recipe to my collection.  Since I can set the calendar to only show recipes from the brew log, it's not that big a deal, but it would be nice if there was a little more of a distinction between recipes and brew log entries.

If the date function on recipes wasn't eliminated, it would at least be nice to make it so that when you copy a recipe to the brew log, it would automatically use today's date instead of the date associated with the recipe.  I've forgotten to update the date on the brew log copy of the recipe sometimes, and then later on I have a hard time remembering when it was that I actually brewed it - especially when I brew the same recipe twice on different days, but then I end up with two copies of the recipe in the brew log with the same date and can't remember which was which.

A suggestion from a new user:

One fairly simple item I've missed since I've started using BeerSmith is a batch number field (I add it to the beginning of the name instead now).  Maybe if you add a field for batch number, there could be a rule that batches with number set to "0" don't show up on the calendar.

The simplest way to achieve all this without adding unnecessary complexity would seem to be:

1) Only have recipes that are in the “Brew Log” folder display on the calendar.

2) Have the “Copy to Brew Log” button automatically update the brew date to the current date.

Back