• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

About to BIAB in my HERMS....what should I know....

TwoThings

Apprentice
Reaction score
As the topic states....anything I should look to adjust in the Beersmith 3 program?  Grain absorption?  Should I set the mash profile as BIAB or RIMS/HERMS and alter the grain absorption?  Any tips are welcomed!  Thanks!

If you are doing a full volume mash, then you should probably use a BIAB mash profile.  If you are planning on sparging, then use a standard mash profile.  For the program, it does not matter if you are using a propane burner, electric element, or a HERMS/RIMS system to heat the water and maintain the mash temperature.

In terms of grain absorption, if you are planning on squeezing the bag to reclaim more of the wort, then you should target a lower absorption value.  You can start by adopting the standard absorption for BIAB which is in the program and measure your water in vs water out of your mash to determine exactly how much is retained to adjust for the next brew.

Thank you for the reply.  Right now I am thinking of just doing a full volume mash in BIAB in my mash tun. So I set it to BIAB mash profile.  Thank you again.  I am switching to BIAB just to make it easier when cleaning.....Getting all of those grains out and handling that SS keggle is just obnoxious. 

I was just playing around with my next recipe, so I just saw this.
BIIB is very easy. The downside is the efficiency. I have done a few batches, and setting the BH efficiency around 65% seems to get reasonably close with equipment being BIIB and mash set to single infusion.

Back