• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ABV limit

bnpas

New Forum Member
Reaction score
BS3 doesn't estimate ABV past 10% no matter how much grains I add. Estimated OG is rising but not the estimated ABV.

With the release of BS3, Brad has put in a limit on the maximum ABV based upon the tolerance of the yeast strain used.  If no yeast is selected, it will default to using 10%.  High gravity yeasts will be reflected by their tolerance as given by the yeast companies with a higher value.

It can be worked around by editing the yeast and changing the max % alcohol tolerance for the yeast, but don't then be surprised that you don't reach a higher value if you have exceeded the published tolerance.

This change was outlined in the release notes Brad published on his blog for the new features in BS3.

I should also have added that it is good to double check on the yeast manufacturer's web site for updated specifications on the yeast you are using.  Often, they will update the properties on a particular strain with new information.

This is such a common issue. I want BS3 to not limit the gravity estimate based on yeast tolerance but flag it with a warning.

I agree that even if the program does limit the FG estimation, it should be flagging it for the user.

Back