• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ABV stops at 10% in recipe

bmellow

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am having an issue where beer ABV when creating recipes does not go over 10%. Once it hits 10%, I can add 100 lbs of fermentables to a 5 or 10 gallon recipe and it will continue at 10%. Has anyone else experienced this.
I've tried changing the equipment or mash thinking it was maybe tied to those settings and still stays at 10%.
Anyone else experience this?
I am on the latest version

The problem is that BeerSmith 3 now takes into account the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, a field which did not exist in BeerSmith 2. For old BeerSmith 2 recipes imported it is using a default of 10% alcohol tolerance for beer yeasts, which is why you are running into this limit.
Most of the BeerSmith 3 yeast records have been updated to include the actual alcohol tolerance where I could find it - at least for the major yeast providers.

So you can try the following:
- Reselecting (or substituting the yeast) for the BeerSmith 3 yeast record will often update the alcohol tolerance for the yeast strain
- Choosing another yeast strain may also get you higher alcohol tolerance as the new yeast strains do have the field set where data is available
- Finally you can edit the yeast strain itself within your recipe and set the alcohol tolerance higher, though I would check the manufacturer's web site to make sure the yeast can handle it

Upvote 0
I am having an issue where beer ABV when creating recipes does not go over 10%. Once it hits 10%, I can add 100 lbs of fermentables to a 5 or 10 gallon recipe and it will continue at 10%. Has anyone else experienced this. geometry dash
I've tried changing the equipment or mash thinking it was maybe tied to those settings and still stays at 10%.
Anyone else experience this?
I am on the latest version
Ever since BeerSmith 3, a recipe's maximum%ABV has been determined by the yeast strain used. There will be 10% yeast added automatically if none is specified. Years after users asked for it, developers implemented it.

Upvote 0
Hi,
The problem is that BeerSmith 3 now takes into account the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, a field which did not exist in BeerSmith 2. For old BeerSmith 2 recipes imported it is using a default of 10% alcohol tolerance for beer yeasts, which is why you are running into this limit.

Most of the BeerSmith 3 yeast records have been updated to include the actual alcohol tolerance where I could find it - at least for the major yeast providers.
So you can try the following:
- Reselecting (or substituting the yeast) for the BeerSmith 3 yeast record will often update the alcohol tolerance for the yeast strain
- Choosing another yeast strain may also get you higher alcohol tolerance as the new yeast strains do have the field set where data is available
- Finally you can edit the yeast strain itself within your recipe and set the alcohol tolerance higher, though I would check the manufacturer's web site to make sure the yeast can handle it. Typically you would open the yeast strain up and click on the Details button to do this.

Brad

Upvote 0
Back