• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Accidental Almost Hochkurz

BOB357

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Got up this morning all ready to brew a nice hoppy Centennial IPA. Got everything measured out and weighed, grains milled, etc. Heat my strike water up to the right temperature, pour it into the MLT and proceed to stir in the grain. When I still have about 1/3 of the grain remaining it seems like the mash is awful thick. Continue adding the remainder of the grain and this stuff is like day old oatmeal. Stick a thermometer in it and get 146 F, when it should have been 152.

Look at my brew sheet and find that I should have had 5 gallons of strike water. I somehow had a brain fart and only used 4 gallons. Heated up another gallon of water, added and came up to 152 F. I debated on whether or not I should let it sit a full half hour at 146 F, but didn't, so it was at 146 F for about 15 minutes.Dunno if it's old age or too much to drink last night, but if it happens again I'll have to get my wife to audit my measurements on brew day  :)

Personally, a small step mash at 146 would be fine with me.  Should dry it out a little. I add simple sugar (ala Vinnie) to dry my IPA out a little.  I find with Centennial, it seems too malty.  Of course, I am on the West Coast and that is how we roll.

Back