• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Actually make "versioning" be meaningful.

redbone

Brewer
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not doing something correctly, but the version number doesn't act like I would anticipate it to act.  In versioning, I would expect to be able to go backwards and see the previous version of the recipe in question.  Without this feature, the version number doesn't have much of a meaning.  Maybe this is already a plan for the future.

Hi,
  My original concept was to use the "Brew Log" to store "as brewed" copies.

I'm working on an update now that will ask you if you want to "save as" the recipe to another name when you change the version now.

I toyed with a "time machine" type feature that would autosave old versions and be able to move back in time, but it gets pretty complex and large pretty quick if you save every edit.  However a change to where you save a new copy only when the version number changes is an interesting idea I will certainly take a look at.

Brad

I would tend to agree with the gentleman that commented on versions.  version 1.0 is over written by version 1.1 - accordingly, both versions are exactly the same ..... unless I am missing something.
I often will use the same base recipe and make minor adjustments, than document my actual brew results under notes.  While one could argue, these are two different recipes, I might only make small adjustments and flip back and forth between the two in future brews. It would be great to have a running file under the 'master recipe' (Version 1.0) without renaming /save as , etc. and creating multiple names for basically the same recipe with modifications.  An archived 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 .... documenting each modification would be fantastic and helpful.

I also will take the base recipe and 'play' with hops and % grain to observe what it does to the base recipe on your profile. I might wish to save this for future, but limited intent actually brewing it - would be very helpful to achieve it as a version under the 'master recipe'(version 1.0) as version 1.1 to review results/ profile again in future.  Comments?

I would also like versioning to keep track of the past recipe versions.
I do this now by keeping a set of base recipes in a "To Do" folder and saving recipes with a new name that includes the brew date to track actual brew ativity.
Versioning would steamline my recipe database.

see my current suggestion for the best and real solution to this whole issue.

In build 50+ I did include an option to "Save as" a recipe when you change the version number - that way you can either overwrite or keep the current version.

I like the idea of archiving old versions - but need to build a system specifically to do that in the program.

Brad

Is this still on the radar? I was trying to figure out what "recipe Version Number" actually does...

Ideally for me it would store a separate recipe file for each version that you could easy switch into view by scrolling in the recipe version number tab.

BeerSmith said:
Hi,

I'm working on an update now that will ask you if you want to "save as" the recipe to another name when you change the version now.

I toyed with a "time machine" type feature that would autosave old versions and be able to move back in time, but it gets pretty complex and large pretty quick if you save every edit.  However a change to where you save a new copy only when the version number changes is an interesting idea I will certainly take a look at.

Brad

Hard drives are very large these days if you hadn't noticed. Even memory, I have more memory than my computer had hard drive space 15 years ago. I bet that computer could have run beersmith imho

BeerSmith said:
Hi,

Brad

Perhaps not save a new version every time a save is made, but when the user clicks forward on versioning they are prompted to"save as new version?" clicking yes will save the recipe as  the new version number scrolled forward to. clicking backward could load previous versions with changes new to that version (different from very previous one) highlighted.

I second the +1 to Grathan

Hopefully this will be one of the updates this fall!

Back