• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding graham cracker as an ingredient

I cringe to think of this as a dessert beer even though sweetness is needed and it could go that way.  I am going for more of a 'what was that?' aftertaste.  Thanks for the yeast tips.  I will use 002.
I was thinking about what decocting would do too, but am going just single infusion for now.  We will have to trade bottles if they turn out somewhat edible.

It's homemade beer; short of it turning into reactor cooling water, it'll be edible! I'm all about a brew swap--we'll work that out once the goods are ready.

We should probably move this over to the recipes forum (as we've deviated just a touch from the original intent of this thread), but here's my thinking:

Recipe: Graham Cracker Ale (real original name, eh?)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.98 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.38 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal 
Bottling Volume: 2.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 16.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
2 lbs 12.0 oz        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM)          Grain        1        49.7 %       
1 lbs                Carabrown (55.0 SRM)                    Grain        2        18.1 %       
8.0 oz                Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM)          Grain        3        9.0 %       
8.0 oz                Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)      Grain        4        9.0 %       
6.0 oz                Special Roast (Briess) (50.0 SRM)        Grain        5        6.8 %       
4.0 oz                Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                    Grain        6        4.5 %       
2.5 oz                Molasses (80.0 SRM)                      Sugar        7        2.8 %       
0.33 oz              Challenger [7.60 %] - Boil 45.0 min      Hop          8        14.6 IBUs   
0.33 oz              Challenger [7.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop          9        12.3 IBUs   
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        10      -           
0.33 oz              Challenger [7.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min      Hop          11      7.9 IBUs     
0.50 Items            Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins)          Spice        12      -           
1.0 pkg              SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast        13      -           

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body, Decoction Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5 lbs 8.5 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Saccharification  Add 17.49 qt of water at 158.3 F        152.0 F      60 min       
Mash Out          Decoct 5.11 qt of mash and boil it      168.0 F      10 min       

I'm shooting for a substantial malt backbone that the specialties can run around on. Trying to give the Carabrown a wide berth. Thought about adding some (more) caramel malt, but I think I'll let the honey malt do the sweet talkin. I've not used molasses before; does the usage look like enough to get it noticed without it stomping around too much? Can't wait to make this one...

True,  I am under no illusions of answering the question in the OP.  Thanks homebrewinco for the idea.

KernelCrush said:
True,  I am under no illusions of answering the question in the OP.  Thanks homebrewinco for the idea.

Your welcome.  I've seen recipes for stouts and porters and thought it would be a great marriage.  Note, Denver Beer Co. is known for a great version of this.  I can wait to try it.

As for my beer, here is the recipe.  I just racked it into the keg after 1.5 weeks of primary.  I get a subtle taste the graham cracker with a malty bite.  The coffee/chocolate notes come next and then aromatic hops.  I would change the cascade at flame out to .25 oz as the more you sip, the more hops you get.  It'll be interesting once under pressure how the beer changes.  Initial OG was 1.065 and finished out at 1.010.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal 
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 27.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
1 lbs 12.8 oz        Graham Cracker (3.0 SRM)                Adjunct      1        10.4 %       
1 lbs                Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM)            Adjunct      2        5.8 %       
8 lbs 8.0 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          Grain        3        49.1 %       
3 lbs 8.0 oz          Carabrown (55.0 SRM)                    Grain        4        20.2 %       
1 lbs                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain        5        5.8 %       
8.0 oz                Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)              Grain        6        2.9 %       
1 lbs                Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM)            Sugar        7        5.8 %       
1.00 oz              Willamette [5.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop          8        12.8 IBUs   
0.75 oz              Northern Brewer [9.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop          9        18.6 IBUs   
0.75 oz              Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop          10      0.0 IBUs     
2.0 pkg              American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast        11      -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 4.8 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In          Add 20.38 qt of water at 163.7 F        152.0 F      60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 5 steps (Drain mash tun , 1.04gal, 1.04gal, 1.04gal, 1.04gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Add 2 boxes (14.4 oz each) of graham cracker to mash crushed finely.

Forgot to mention, I would definitely add a vanilla and cinnamon stick into secondary in my second batch just to bring out the flavors you would expect in the cracker.

Glad to see your getting the flavor to come thru. I think I will be eating a graham cracker while drinking one to ensure success.

homebrewinco said:
Forgot to mention, I would definitely add a vanilla and cinnamon stick into secondary in my second batch just to bring out the flavors you would expect in the cracker.

Greetings!  I was hoping you could provide an update as to how this turned out with a bit of age.  I'm currently researching various ways of incorporating graham cracker flavor into a beer, and hoping to determine what is effective and what isn't.

Thanks!

Back