• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding new malt: Simpsons CaraMalt and Belgian Caramel Pils

D

devils4ever

Hi all,

I love BeerSmith and want to add these two malts (Simpsons CaraMalt and Belgian Caramel Pils) to the list. How do I do this? Is there a way to download/update this to the software? Do I have to create these myself? If so, how do I do it?

TIA.

T^he easiest way is to make a duplicate of a similar grain and alter the specifics from the manufactures grain sheet.  First make sure the grains that you wish to add are not grouped on the Support Page.

Fred

bonjour said:
T^he easiest way is to make a duplicate of a similar grain and alter the specifics from the manufactures grain sheet.  First make sure the grains that you wish to add are not grouped on the Support Page.

Fred

Thanks for your response. What do you mean about being grouped in the Support Page?

devils4ever said:
bonjour said:

Fred

Thanks for your response. What do you mean about being grouped in the Support Page?
On the support page, you'll find the below list of "add-ins" already created.  It's near the bottom right of the page. 

If you use Dingeman's frequently, for ex, you can download the .bsm file and import the whole lot of them at once.  It does not yet appear that anyone has created Simpson's list.  Using the maltster's specific information helps to eliminate (or reduce) some of the variance in copying recipes from a friend or magazine.  I've actually deleted the generic entries of most of the stuff for which I know the brand I use.  (If you think about it, there are no generics:  we use Briess, Dingeman's or Crisp, etc., and not supermarket brands.) 

http://www.beersmith.com/support.htm

Barrett Burston Malts (4 grains)
  Briess Malting (66 grains/extracts)
  Cargill Malts (15 grains)
  Crisp Malts (11 grains) 
  Dingeman's Malts (13 grains)
  Durst Malz (4 grains)
  Fruits (29 entries)
  Hoepfner Malts (11 grains) 
  IMC Malts (3 grains)
  Joe White Malts (13 grains)
  Rhoen Maltz (2 grains)
  Schreier Malts (2 grains)
  Thomas Fawcett Malts (14 grains)
  Weyermann Malts (30 grains)

Okay, I went to their website and only found this:

Code:
No    Malt     Colour EBC   Extract LDK   Max Moisture
5  Caramalt     25 – 35          275             5 %

So, what do I use for Beersmith?

I got the info below from Northern Brewer online (where I've bought CaraMalt before), and from this link, which has many grains' specs, stated in the US parameters we use. 

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/malt/simpsons.php

I entered an SRM of 35 Lov, and Potential of 1.034, similar to other 30 and 40 Lov caramel/crystals. 

Since it says "steep or mashed" I left the "must mash" block unchecked. 

• Simpsons Caramalt. 30-37° L. Made from green malt. Imparts a light flavor, and slight red hue. Great for dark lagers and ales. Will contribute dextrins and add to foam stability. This grain may be steeped or mashed.

Back