• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Addition to Water Profile Tool

E

Eric Berry

Great software, Brad! ;D

If it isn't a ton of trouble, it would be helpful if the Water Profile tool included data entry and calculation (combined impact) of:

A) A "Percent Distilled Water" edit box

B) Selection of two (possibly more?) base waters,  in addition to the distilled percentage noted above.

In practice, the goal would be to calculate combinations of  (hard) tap,  (medium) bottled spring water, distilled water,  plus chemical additions.  For those with hard tap water, this option should make it easier to apply medium and lower hardness profiles,  for given beer styles, with minimum purchase, storage, and hassles of bottled water.    

Again, not a show-stopper, but potentially helpful...

Thanks.

Eric

Eric,
 Interesting idea - would I just need to add another row in the tool for a second water profile in addition to the base one?

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

You could do it several ways.  My original thought was:

A) total gallons  (as is)

B) distilled gallons(actual volume, or as percent of total),
   as a single edit box next to "total gallons", since
   contribution to individual PPM's should be zero (right?)

C) base profile #1 (=my tap water),
   format same as existing base profile, adding leading
   edit box to enter gallons or percent of total

D) base profile #2 gallons (=bottled water)
   format same as (C) above.

E) optionally, base profile #3 gallons (=filtered tap)
   format same as (C) above.

Providing three base profiles (or perhaps four, tops), each with a leading "percent" or "gallons" edit box, would achieve the same thing.

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks Eric,
 I will add it to my "to do" list.  I never thought about it much but adding distilled water is a very reasonable way to dilute hard water to match a softer profile.

Brad

I just logged onto the forum to ask this very question...

I wanted to see if I could have a combination of 2 water profiles.

5 gals of Chicago water
5 gals of distilled water

and see what I end up with...

I vote for adding this!

Thanks!
 I'm continuously working on the program.  I can't make any promises, but this is certainly on my list for future versions.

Cheers!
Brad

I've been looking at the trial edition all morning. I really want to switch because I love BeerSmith's GUI and the XML, inventory, and reporting features. Kudos!

However, my major show-stopper is the water profiles. It doesn't seem to be integrated at all with the recipe. Sure you can add xx amount of yy water to the recipe, but that's useless for my needs

What I'd like is to pick the type of water I want to mimic and then also pick my base tap water. From there, BS should tell me how much Mash and Sparge water I'll need (which it does) but then tell me how many grams of each additive I need to add to each vessel to approximate the target water.

With all the tools included, I'm sure I could do this manually, but it's a lot more hassle than it's worth.
Thanks for hearin' me out!

Thanks for your ideas!

I am looking at automating the water tool so you can calculate the additives for a particular profile.  Its not easy, but it can be done.

I suppose it would be possible to also then add the additives to a particular recipe - I'll look at that as well.

Thanks!

Brad

Back