• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Additional ingredients @ Vanilla /coffee/etc

tebodin

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how to calculate how much vanilla or coffee or what ever ingredient you want to add to your beer like a Porter for example.
Is there a spot in Beersmith3 that has that option???
I don't want to waste a batch by over doing it or not adding enough. Whats the general rule if there is one. Thoughts????

There is no easy calculation for addition of flavorings.  Your best bet is to look at a number of recipes which use vanilla and/or coffee, read about how they are using and where they are adding it.

I have not done anything with coffee so far, but I have used vanilla in a number of recipes.  Generally, I will start with beans and add split vanilla beans into the fermenter after fermentation is finished and then top off with some vanilla extract at bottling to get a slightly stronger flavor than I want, as it will mellow with age.  The amounts I add are specific to the recipe, beer style, and effect which I want to achieve. 

Back