• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Alcohol Calculation in BeerSmith 2.2

29Savoy6

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I’m new to using BeerSmith 2.2.12.  The recipe printout uses the term “actual alcohol by volume”.  This is printed opposite “estimated alcohol by volume”.  In my specific case, the recipe printout shows estimated alcohol at 6.0 but actual at 4.7.  On screen the display shows 6.0.  I know the formulas for calculating alcohol content and can calculate it to 5.75.  So what is the BeerSmith definition of “actual alcohol by volume” shown in the recipe printout and how is it calculated in the software?  Why is it not a field that I can select on screen?  Additionally, what are the inputs to the formula so I can understand what affects it?

The actual ABV calculation in BeerSmith works off of the user inputs for Measured Original Gravity and Measured FG.  If you record your readings into those fields Beersmith will update the actual abv to reflect your actual results.

Back