• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

All my recipes have disappeared

froggi

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Like an idiot I didn't back the recipes developed up or save to the cloud service, now the appear to have all disappeared and BS seems to have reset to default parameters....  My equipment profile is lost, all my updates are gone and I'm puzzled as to why... Can anyone shed any light on this...  Cheers

Hi,
  The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example), you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
    (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

--

Cheers!

Brad Smith

Thanks Brad for the response however I think you have misunderstood my point.  The program has reset itself already with me being able to save anything... I have checked the archive files and any other locations that might house BS recipes, there is nothing at all that resembles my "old" recipe files....  BS has been reset to early November 2015, erased all recipes and equipment profile, updates including ingredients, yeasts etc.
Chris

Did you do a full search of your hard drive?  BeerSmith itself keeps multiple levels of backups and actually can't erase the archive and also has numbered backup files (listed above) that go back a month or more.  There is nothing in the code to delete these backups.

So the other possibility is somehow your directory was moved from its original location - and in this case BeerSmith will create a new installation since it can't find any of your data or backups.  So I would recommend checking to make sure you don't have BSMX files somewhere else - i.e. in another directory with your data in it.

This can happen if you change user names (since the data is under My Documents), user settings, the location of your Documents directory, hard drive changes, etc...

Brad

Hey Brad,

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but i have the same issue as the TS.

To make a long story short: I did a backup copy of the actual beersmith install then  i formatted my C drive.
After reinstalling the OS and BS the recepies were gone, even tho i started from my backup. What i didnt know was that my files were saved in "Documents" on the C drive and that was formatted.

I did however manage to find a program that recovered my deleted files from the formatted drive and restore them.

There are several types of recepie files as you described above. I did just as you also described above and moved those old files to the new directory.
Beersmith however cant open the files in question. It says "Error importing file" on any file i try to open which was recovered.

Are theese files somehow corrupted?

Back