• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

All recipe notes lost!

homebrewdad

Apprentice
Reaction score
This has happened to me a time or two before, and I've always blamed it on me not remembering to click save (even though I was pretty darned sure that I had).  This time, I am 100% certain that I'm seeing a bug.

I use the "notes" section to record EVERYTHING about a brew - brew date, recorded mash temps, 10 minute and final pH, volume and OG, fermentation temperatures, and more.  Last night, I opened Beersmith to record the fact that I had added gelatin, when lo and behold, my notes were blank.

I know that Beersmith was open on my PC (Windows 7 pro), this recipe was open, and the PC crashed and had to be rebooted. 

I could see losing unsaved changes, but to lose the notes, period?  This is NOT cool.

Is it possible to recover this?  I'm an IT guy by trade, I'm happy digging into files and whatnot.

Look at the archive. It's at View > Recipe Archive.

I'd also take some screen shots and document this. Send it to beersmith [at] beersmith [dot] com. Brad is working on an update, so this is something he'll need to know soon.

Thanks.  Brad also reached out directly to me to suggest the archive, and that did resolve it for me. 

I would still call this a pretty big bug - the program clearly shouldn't write a blank notes page if the program does not shut down properly - but at least I know the workaround, now.

I appreciate the help.

Back