• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Amounts Discrepancy on BS3

Oginme said:
Oginme said:
Looking at your updated recipe.  You are using 6.86 gallons for the infusion step, 3.71 gallons for the sparge.  This brings the total to 10.57 gallons.

From that 10.57 gallons, you are losing 2.61 gallons to the grain absorption (assuming standard 0.96 fl. oz per oz of grain) and 0.06 gallons of wort to dead space in your mash tun.  This leaves you with 7.9 gallons of collected wort.  your trub loss is 1 gallon, your boil off is 1.13 gallons, and volume adjustment for temperature is 0.27 gallons, so your net is 5.5 gallons.

I don't see an issue here unless your numbers for grain absorption are different from the standard setting.

Are these close to your numbers?

Those numbers: 2.61gal mash loss, .06gal dead space in MT, and 1gal trub loss are all numbers I put in myself. I left the 1.13gal boil off number alone as I'm not 100% sure what my EXACT boil off is. Those are the numbers you pulled off my recipe based on the mash profile that's in it. At least that's what I assume. So those numbers would be accurate, yes. I'll be able to better dial in those numbers after the brew day for future beers but I do believe those numbers are close enough for now.

Yes, they come directly from your recipe.  the 2.61 gallons for grain absorption is calculated by the software from the grains used in the mash and the absorption factor.  The accuracy of the other numbers is dependent upon your confidence in your original estimations.

Oginme said:
Yes, they come directly from your recipe.  the 2.61 gallons for grain absorption is calculated by the software from the grains used in the mash and the absorption factor.  The accuracy of the other numbers is dependent upon your confidence in your original estimations.

I'm pretty confident. I think the reason why I'm not 100% is because I haven't used the software before and haven't truly taken measurements on most all of the factors. If I have, I haven't written them down anywhere. For instance, I'm pretty sure my boil off is only 1 gallon, but I'm not 100% positive so if the software is spitting out 1.13 gallons, for now I'm trending towards letting that number be because the Brad obviously put the number in there for a reason.

Thoughts?

Back