• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another Copy May Be Running

ChrilleB

Apprentice
Reaction score
Today when i tried to start Beersmith 3 I got an error stating "Another Copy May Be Running". Probably my Mac has made an os update during the night while Beeersmith was open on the computer and the program didn't close properly. I've tried to press the button "Open BeerSmith Now" (leads to another error message "BeerSmith3 quit unexpectedly."), "Close BeerSmith Now", restarted the computer several times, I even uninstalled Beersmith and reinstalled it again. Nothing worked, same problem again. The program isn't installed on any other computers, but i have the BeerSmith 3 iPhone app. Any ideas on what to do?

So the problem has been known since October 2018 and not one line about how to solve the problem. Feels quite bad since I?m not even able to start my program.

Send an inquiry with description of your issue directly to Brad at beersmith at beersmith dot com and you may get some idea on where he is with fixing this issue.

I have found a simple workaround that worked for me, if for some reason there is no "beersmith" running in the process tree in task manager.  Locate your Beersmith 3 folder in your mydocuments file. (typically Mycomputer/C:/users/<user name>/mydocuments/beersmith3). Open the folder and scroll down and locate the file "InUse.lck" and delete it. You should now be able to open beersmith 3 without the warning that another copy may be running. Not sure if this helps with any other issues, but it stops the annoying warning popup.

I am following this.  Having terrible time with this.  I have tried every suggestion I have seen so far.  Each time I try to start it says "another copy may be running" then it has me reactivate. Then I can use the program but it will not save new work. "Cannnot be overwritten".  Then, when I try to exit,  I get a series of error messages for each category of the program such as "Error inventory" "Error ingredients" etc.  Is there a way to wipe my mac clean of the entire program (I have BS 2 and BS 3) and just get a clean start?

Look, I don't know if this will work for others or not, but..

I used to just close the program down by clicking the cross in the upper right of the screen (windows).

The problem was an intermittent one for me, but I lost 6 months of recipes with it.

Since actively going to the menu bar, file->exit this problem has gone away for me.  I started doing this after reading oginme's comment in the other thread that BS3 is running various archival things in the background. My thought was that maybe shutting the program rather than exiting properly might be impeding these background tasks. Exiting formally ensures that they are done.

I don't know if it is that easy, but when I tried shutting via the old way, I immediately got the problem again. Didn't try after that because I don't want to lose another 6 months of recipes again!

This is the reason I uninstalled BS3 and went back to using BS2.

I just had an e-mail asking me to renew my subscription for BS3 so I thought I'd visit the forum to check on any progress on this issue and it is the first subject in this section so it clearly has not been addressed in well over a year! There is no mention of this bug having been fixed in the v.3.1 release notes either.

I'll be staying with BS2 unless I see any resolution of this issue because it is a real killer when you "lose" recipes (you can recover them from archives but it is a painful process in my experience).

beernutuk said:

I just had an e-mail asking me to renew my subscription for BS3 so I thought I'd visit the forum to check on any progress on this issue and it is the first subject in this section so it clearly has not been addressed in well over a year! There is no mention of this bug having been fixed in the v.3.1 release notes either.

I'll be staying with BS2 unless I see any resolution of this issue because it is a real killer when you "lose" recipes (you can recover them from archives but it is a painful process in my experience).

Did you read the release notes?

Data Storage and Future Sync
One of the largest changes in 3.1 is the underlying data storage, which has moved to an incremental transaction based system. Older versions of BeerSmith read your data in on startup and saved it when you shut down the program. This created problems if the program or computer crashed or was shut down before BeerSmith could save the data. The new system stores data as soon as you press OK, so it should significantly cut down on data loss.

An additional benefit in the new system is that it lays the groundwork for syncing all data including profiles, ingredients and recipes across platforms. While not complete yet, this is my long term goal, and I?ve started work on an online web based version of BeerSmith which will sync with other platforms. In fact last Fall I released the Tools portion of this on BeerSmithRecipes.com and also made it mobile friendly. In fact, Gold+ mobile users of BeerSmithRecipes.com have basically the same functionality as the older BeerSmith lite mobile app now.

I?ve also moved the default data location of BeerSmith data to the %APPDATA%/BeerSmith3 on windows or ~Library/Application Support/BeerSmith3 on the Mac to comply with app security recommendations and also reduce issues with Antivirus programs which often block access to Documents. On startup you will be asked if you want to move your data to the new locations, which I do recommend.

To make it easier to backup/recover your data there are now Backup and Recover from Zip file commands on the File menu.

beernutuk said:

I just had an e-mail asking me to renew my subscription for BS3 so I thought I'd visit the forum to check on any progress on this issue and it is the first subject in this section so it clearly has not been addressed in well over a year!

There is a brand new update just released a day or two ago. Ver. 3.1 which addresses the issue.

I'm running 3.1.05 and still get this error - what's up?

Attachments

• BS - Error.jpg
    BS - Error.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 268
Back