• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another New Guy

JimmyG

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brewed a few batches here and there.  Thought I knew what I was doing but was so, so wrong.  Last three batches tasted the same,,, like medicine.  Finally came across this board and decided to join!  I need help!

Assuming your using tap water are you dechlorinating it?

I actually used gallon spring water from the grocery store this past time.  I have a well and have used well water in the past. Tried a pumpkin, Belgian Ale, and now a brown ale and all seem to have the same unpleasant medicine taste, with the same color. I am thinking about how well I sanitized my primary bucket...didn't really scrub it with anything, just poured the sanitizer in and let it sit for a while. Also, I have been keeping the fermenter in  the same room each time, with the temperature  being around 72F. Maybe the temperature is too high?

JimmyG said:
I actually used gallon spring water from the grocery store this past time.  I have a well and have used well water in the past. Tried a pumpkin, Belgian Ale, and now a brown ale and all seem to have the same unpleasant medicine taste, with the same color. I am thinking about how well I sanitized my primary bucket...didn't really scrub it with anything, just poured the sanitizer in and let it sit for a while. Also, I have been keeping the fermenter in  the same room each time, with the temperature  being around 72F. Maybe the temperature is too high?

Quoted from John Palmers book "How to Brew":

"Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors."

Thanks for the comments...I will take all these things under consideration for my next one.  I may also go right to the glass instead of the bucket first next time. 

Back