• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another Slurry Question...

Catch-22

Brewer
Reaction score
Good morning, and Happy New Year!  I plan on spending the first day of this new year brewing a stout kit that I have (extract) and I have a lot of washed US-05 yeast from a porter that I harvested about 2-3 weeks ago.  I've washed it a couple of times and split it into two mason jars.  I have never used a yeast slurry before...so I am very new at this process

Attached is a photo of one of the mason jars. 

My question is in two parts:

I used Mr. Malty to calculate the amount of slurry, and given that I set it for a medium thickness, it's telling me about 138 ml of the slurry to use, based on harvest date.  Does this sound about right?

Also, due to the OG of the stout expecting to be in the 1.058 range, and the slurry isn't that old, I'm assuming that as long as enough is pitched I should not have to worry about having made a starter ahead of time.  Correct?

Any thoughts would be helpful!  Thank you all!

Attachments

• Slurry.jpg
    Slurry.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 12
Did you rinse your slurry?  It may be my monitor but it looks like you have a large non-yeast percentage. 

KernelCrush said:
Did you rinse your slurry?  It may be my monitor but it looks like you have a large non-yeast percentage.

Yes....I rinsed it several times.  Most recently yesterday.

Sorry, Now I see you said that in your first post. Did you dry hop the porter?  and when?

Was there much break material when you pitched the porter?

Nail down your viability date.  1 week can make a 10% or more difference assuming optimal storage conditions.

What is your volume?

If you click and hold the slider in Mr Malty non yeast percentage it will tell you what your percent is set to.

KernelCrush said:
Sorry, Now I see you said that in your first post. Did you dry hop the porter?  and when?

Was there much break material when you pitched the porter?

Nail down your viability date.  1 week can make a 10% or more difference assuming optimal storage conditions.

What is your volume?

If you click and hold the slider in Mr Malty non yeast percentage it will tell you what your percent is set to.
No dry hopping.  Not much break material from what I recall.  The date this was obtained from the fermenter was 12/14.

I am making a 5 gallon batch.

KernelCrush said:
Did you rinse your slurry?  It may be my monitor but it looks like you have a large non-yeast percentage. If you check here, you will be able to see everything that you should be looking at.

You have to rinse, I agree on the non-yeast percentage also. 

vera99 said:
KernelCrush said:

You have to rinse, I agree on the non-yeast percentage also.

Thanks to all for the replies. 

I actually ended up using slurry from yeast that was washed a few times from a batch that I moved to a secondary back in Nov.  I had a nice thick slurry, and based on the calculator, I needed to ad 175mls of it.  I added 180 for good measure, and 24 hours later, it's bubbling like mad.  Seems like it's working just fine so far. 

Back