• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Any Advice on an Amber Ale?

klw

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I'm trying to brew a decent Amber Ale, but have little experience with this style. I'm currently figuring out a recipe, but I'm not sure what the best way to go would be (i.e. grain and hops). Does anyone have any general advice they could offer for creating a decent amber recipe?

Also, has anyone tried adding a little bit of orange zest at boil or flameout? I was thinking about giving it a try, but I have little experience with non-hops additives.

Thanks!

KLW,

There are lots of amber ale recipes on the web. I would suggest to brew with one hop. A single hop amber ale will give you a good background of how each hop you use will taste and smell. Orange zest would be a pleasant addition to most light beers. The bitterness of the orange peel may be more prevalent?

I was thinking that the orange zest would add a pleasant dimension to it. But like you pointed out, the bitterness could be an issue. I've never brewed with non-hops additives, so i have no idea how much would be too much.

The orange zest without the white pith (which is where the bitterness comes from) should flavor it nicely. The amount IS a mystery that only a (to strong) or (to weak) beer will attest. I don't know but the oil from the zest could kill the head on the beer? Foam and oil don't mix. Your local home brew supply shop should have dried orange additives for both sweet or bitter orange. I use them in wit beer's.

There are different types of zesters; I'd recommend the finest cut you can achieve to reduce the pith.  It's usually added at flameout, typically to wits and American wheats, I think.  Maybe some Belgians.

If you add to your amber, I'd recommend using citrus hops so it would complement and not conflict, with say, piney/resiny type hops.  Have fun...........

If you plan to use orange zest I would recommend Cascade, Chinook, or some other hop with citrus qualities.

To add to Maine Homebrewer's statement. Citra is close to Cascade and Amarillo. I just switched out Citra hops for Amarillo hops in a "all Amarillo ale" It is called "Citra Ass Down". Citra has the same qualities as the others and can be substituted!

Just finished one it turned out great.2-row as a base,caramber/crystal ,and just a bit of chocolate,and melanoiden malt,columbus to bitter centennial at 15 and cascade at 5mins .note that a little chocolate goes along way.

I was definitely planning on using a lot of Northwest Citrus Hops to compliment the orange zest. I'll probable end up using a lot of Cascade and Centennial.

@crabbs- I'm not familiar with Melanoiden malt. What taste/malt profile does it bring to the table and about what percent of the grain does it make up?

http://www.weyermann.de/ger/produkte.asp?idkat=2&umenue=yes&idmenue=2&sprache=1

maltiness, mouthfeel, red color

Back