• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Arthrinium saccharicola

Razathorn

New Forum Member
Reaction score
After years of listening to the podcast, I feel like this might be the best place to get an answer that evades me on Google. I'm an avid Homebrewer who has done a lot of wild yeast brews (capture, not open fermentation.) I saw a video about a guy who died from a Neuro toxin left by the fungus Arthrinium saccharicola in ccoconut water. It was literally one small swallow and it killed him. Google tells me this fungus occurs naturally on plants and the Latin name seems to indicate it thrives in sugar, so my first thought is why has this not killed any of us home brewers. Sure it makes things taste horrible, but it has to be more about wort with hops being a bad environment for it or something.

Any ideas? Any microbiologists here?

The environment is full of potentially harmful microbes, but the probability of getting harmed is vanishingly small under normal circumstances. Harm requires a series of unlikely events to occur. Direct interaction, a portal of entry (transmission route), avoiding attack from host immune system, multiplying rapidly, extracting nutrients from host system, reaching target organ(s), etc.

In terms of food, our behaviour hugely reduces the probability of direct interaction with harmful bugs. There's a good reason why we instinctively toss out anything that looks, tastes or smells bad. Let's just call it "strong natural selection". Brewers are usually very selective when it comes to the quality of ingredients, but even when some potentially harmful microbes do get passed our innate quality control, they get destroyed by the established brewing process. After noting how rank spent grains get after a day in a waste bucket, I wouldn't ever opt for so-called "raw ale". Although, to be fair, the ethanol produced by yeast is going to keep most things in check, assuming they haven't been given sufficient time to establish and produce potentially harmful secondary metabolites, e.g., mycotoxins. A good reason to pitch enough healthy yeast, aye?

The report of a fatality due to consuming coconut milk infected by Arthrinium saccharicola doesn't describe normal circumstances. The coconut was stored inappropriately for over a month and was most likely damaged to provide a portal of entry for the A. saccharicola, which then established and produced a harmful mycotoxin.

I don't see any cause for real concern, especially for brewers. 👍

Back