• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Artificial Intelligence Beer

xuledywo

Brewer
Reaction score
A friend was showing me this AI app, you can ask it anything and it just starts spitting out data.
You can ask it to write a 3000-word essay on the migration of the Monarch Butterfly. Roughly 60 seconds later it is done.
I asked him to ask it to write a recipe for a black IPA.
After seeing what it came up with it seems pretty obvious to me that it takes the first internet search result and spits it out.

Here is the result, not a great recipe if you ask me.
No reference to capping the mash with the dark grains.
The dextrin doesn't belong, too much crystal in my opinion.
Spoiler alert too, not enough hops in my opinion
:rolleyes:

It would however be beer, so there is that.

Write a recipe for a black ipa beer

Ingredients:

• 8 lbs (3.6 kg) Maris Otter malt

• 1 lb (0.45 kg) Caramel malt (60L)

• 1 lb (0.45 kg) Crystal malt (120L)

• 1 lb (0.45 kg) Roasted barley

• 0.5 lb (0.23 kg) Chocolate malt

• 1 lb (0.45 kg) Dextrin malt

• 1 oz (28 g) Warrior hops (bittering)

• 1 oz (28 g) Centennial hops (flavor)
  • Cascade hops (aroma)

• 1 tsp Irish moss (clarifying agent)

• 1 package of American Ale yeast

• 5 oz (142 g) Priming sugar (for bottling)

• Water (as needed)

Instructions:

1 Crush all the malts together and place them in a large grain bag.

2 Heat 8 quarts (7.6 liters) of water to 160°F (71°C) and place the bag of crushed malt into the water.

3 Steep the malt for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4 Remove the grain bag from the water and let it drain.

5 Add the Warrior hops to the water and boil for 60 minutes.

6 At the 30-minute mark, add the Centennial hops.

7 At the 10-minute mark, add the Cascade hops and the Irish moss.

8 After the boil, cool the wort down to 70°F (21°C) as quickly as possible.

9 Transfer the wort to a fermenter and add enough cool water to bring the volume to 5 gallons (18.9 liters).

10 Pitch the yeast and aerate the wort well.

11 Ferment the beer at 68°F (20°C) for 7 days or until the gravity has stabilized.
12 Rack the beer into a secondary fermenter and let it sit for an additional 14 days.

13 Prime the beer with the priming sugar and bottle it.

14 Store the bottled beer at room temperature for 2 weeks to carbonate.

15 Enjoy your homemade Black IPA!

Note: The above recipe is just a guideline and the specifics can be adjusted based on personal preferences and equipment. The malt, hops, yeast, and water all play a role in the final flavor, so feel free to experiment to find your perfect Black IPA.

You have to give ChatGPT more to work with and know that it can refine the results if you provide feedback. I have a recipe that it gave me based on more specific criteria I gave it.

In general the recipe looks really good. But I put it into BeerSmith and made adjustments with the grist and hop bill to "fix" some of the things that were off with it such as percentage of C40 and the resulting IBU target. Other than that, I think I'll be brewing the beer this upcoming weekend.

Along the AI lines...

I asked Google Bard to help describe my homebrew beer.

"Help me describe my homebrew beer: craft, create, design, layer flavors, balance mouthfeel, balance bitterness to maltiness and proportional amount of alcohol!"

Sure, here is a description of your homebrew beer that incorporates your desired elements:
This homebrew beer is a craftily designed and carefully created masterpiece of flavor. The layers of flavors are perfectly balanced, with a smooth mouthfeel and a proportional amount of alcohol. The bitterness is just right, and the maltiness is perfect, creating a unique and delicious taste experience that you won't soon forget.

Back