• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bad Batch - can it be saved

L

lenorabarnes

We brewed a wheat beer yesterday--it was from a kit that's been hanging around a while so we decided to make it.  The trouble is the yeast packet had a best by date of 2007.  We tried it anyway and now the beer just seems to be sitting.  No activity.  Can we add some hot water and yeast and save it--possibly?  Thank you!  Lenora

Honestly, you probably should've waited to buy some fresh yeast.  Many dry yeasts have ~2 year shelf life, so that may be a 2005 vintage. 

If you can get some fresh yeast in there quickly it may ferment.

If no LHBS, then I'd dump it.  The malt extract was old, the hops were old, etc.  I wouldn't chase it too hard.

So this is day 3 of the fermentation and no activity. You should still be able to get some yeast on it and get it going. ML is correct about the yeast being a 05 vintage. As a rule of thumb I always keep a packet of dry Nottingham yeast on hand just in case. It's cheap insurance.

Cheers
Preston

Back