• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barley Crusher Grain Mill Discount

I still love my Barley Crusher and the big hopper is great.  I use a variable speed drill as a motor drive.

My BC came yesterday.  The instructions recommend that the mill not be powered by a motor.  If the rpms are 500 or less, what would be the problem with motorizing vs. using a hand drill?
I have a couple of motors with rpms of 1725.  If I put a 2 inch pulley on the motor and a 10 in pulley on the mill spindle, I calculated the rpm of the mill will be right around 500 rpms. 
The BC looks to be a well made product, but I'm just a little skeptical about the o-ring that turns the second roller.  The instructions say it doesn't need to be replaced if it wears out.  If that's the case, why have it in the first place?

Used the BC for the first time this weekend to make an American IPA.  The BC gave me the best crush I have EVER had.  I think my LHS should invest in another grain mill.  Fortunately, I don't have to mess with the long lines and less than adequate crush any longer.  The factory setting was perfect.  My efficiency umproved 4%. 

Day late and a dollar short...My luck.
Bought one a month ago and HOLY CRAP! Saves me about 3 hours a batch. Put my drill on it and I can reduce 12 lbs in about 12 minutes as opposed to the old Masa harina grinder I was using.
BUY THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT!

How can I order this without pay pal?
I was going to order it the other night but the only option I saw was pay pal and I don't have an account.

My lovely wife got me the Barley Crusher for Christmas (after a little hint and the URL in an email). Definately the best thing that has happened to my brewing. I was a little worried that the factory settings gave too fine of a crush after what I am used to seeing from the LHBS. However, I went with it and got a calculated mash efficiency of 86%!!! I'm used to getting only about 70% if I'm lucky. The only drawback is that now I have to rework some of my recipes to account for the greater efficiency. It's a problem I'm happy to have.

zymurgist05 said:
My BC came yesterday.  The instructions recommend that the mill not be powered by a motor.  If the rpms are 500 or less, what would be the problem with motorizing vs. using a hand drill?
I have a couple of motors with rpms of 1725.  If I put a 2 inch pulley on the motor and a 10 in pulley on the mill spindle, I calculated the rpm of the mill will be right around 500 rpms. 

The reason for "no motor" is that a constant pull in one direction will wear the brass bushing on the BC drive shaft into an egg-shape, and the spacing between rollers will get all messed up.

If I'm grinding into a 5gal bucket, I put another 5gal bucket next to it and lay the drill on top of it.  That way the weight of the drill will not be pulling down on the BC shaft.  I use a DeWalt 3/8" Hammer Drill which is a pretty heavy unit.

I have a 19:1 gear reduction unit that I was considering using with a 1725 rpm motor.  The reduction unit output would be direct-coupled to the BC - so no sideways pull.  The problem is that I would have to build a stand to mount all the components, and this would take up a bunch of garage space, be harder to clean, move grain buckets, etc. 

Since I only brew once or twice a month, a good 3/8" electric drill works fine, and lets me put everything back on the shelf until next time.

---------------------
BTW, if you're going to go out and buy a 3/8 drill, get a good hammer drill.  It's only a few bucks more than a regular one, and eventually one day you'll need to drill a hole in concrete.

I just ordered one of the 7lb mills. Has anyone else purchased one recently? How were you notified of the item shipping? I've received an email that only states they got my order, but I'm just trying to make sure of the timeframe  they take to ship.

Mouse

**BUMP**

No one? Can anyone tell me how long it took for them to get their BC Mill?

Mouse

It's been a while for me .... but it seems like a week or so delivery. Not more than that-I am an impatient sort!

Thanks. I ordered mine a week ago, but haven't heard anything other than the email stating they got my order. I wouldn't be so concerned if they are having supply issues and had sent an email saying there are delays.

Mouse

Got mine today. It took 17 days to arrive and I'm stoked. Just started a week's vacation and planning on at least 3 brews.

Mouse

yeah, I have adjust them a few times. Easy to do. Just need a good eye for distances. Different grains crush at different widths.

Back