• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barley Wine fermentation question

IcemanFTW

Apprentice
Reaction score
I looking at brewing a Barley Wine and I'm wondering about the fermentation times. How long can I leave the beer in primary? I'm thinking somewhere between 4-6 weeks.

I don't normally use a secondary, but I've also never brewed a beer with as big an ABV (10.6%) as this. Can I skip the secondary and just bottle age the beer instead?

I have also read that some people are using a second yeast before bottling, is this a necessary step? Thanks!

I left my barleywine in the primary for 6-8 weeks then kegged.  The transfer process left a lot of gunk in the keg which clogged the dispensing tube and ball lock.  I have never used a secondary but had I, I would have had much less sediment to deal with.  My next batch I'll be using a hop sack on the transfer tube to catch sediment but still will not use a secondary.

Greetings iceman - I recently brewed a Belgian Tripel.  After fermentation, I racked to the secondary and cold crashed the batch for 30 days to help clear it.  Then, I made another yeast starter, pitched it and bottled.  I don't believe you would have much yeast left in suspension to properly carbonate if you waited 4-6 weeks to bottle.

Thanks for the advice. Any ideas on how big of a starter would I need to properly carbonate the beer. This would be a 5 gallon batch.

Greetings iceman - without knowing some specifics about your brew, it would be impossible for me to guess.  OG, FG, Bottling Volume, etc.

OG: 1.100
FG: 1.024
Est. Bottling Vol: 3 Gallons

I'll be fermenting with WLP013 (London Ale).

Greetings iceman - the recipe I made called for a 400ml starter for a 5 gallon bottling vol. batch.  So that's 80ml/gallon X 3 gallons = 240ml.  The yeast I used was for Mead and Wine - WLP 720.  I used the entire pouch in a 400ml starter.  It worked beautifully.

That said, Lallemand makes a Cask and Bottling Conditioning yeast for just such a purpose.  Its a dry yeast and the instructions are on the package.  However, I didn't have much luck with the Lallemand CBC on another batch I made of a much lower FG brew.

Good Luck!!

Hope this information helps!!

Here's some more advice for fermenting out very high gravity beers:
- If you can use pure oxygen or an aquarium pump to aerate the wort before pitching
- Beers above 1.080 can also benefit from a second oxygenation about 12 hours later (per Chris White)
- Be sure to look at the alcohol tolerance for your yeast - some will peter out before they complete fermentation
- I would personally recommend an extended secondary - this is not a beer you drink in a few weeks and it will improve with age and you don't want a mess in the keg
- If you do get a stuck fermentation you can consider yeast nutrients, pitching fresh yeast or adjusting the pH (if too low) to get things moving again

Brad

Thanks very for all the help. I 'm planning on brewing this next month with the intention of drinking it around Christmas 2017.

others things that COULD [not saying should] be done are:

add 25-50% more yeast nutrient than normal
ferment at the lower end of the yeasty range for the first 1-3 days then go up one degree per day until in the top 1/2 of the yeasts operating range, then go up 1 degree every other day until you get to the top quarter of the yeasts viable range. let it sit here for at least one week.
transfer to a secondary and low temp by 1 degree every 2 days until back in the low end of the range, let sit here 1-3 weeks, then start lowering the temp [whatever rate you choose] until you get to about 40F [?2C?] and let sit for at least 1 week just to optimize particulate precipitation.

if kegging, rack it, if bottling i suggest bottle conditioning for 2-3 weeks before refrigerating [or cellaring].

either way, for a barleywine i would then let it sit another 2-4 months [if bottled i'd set aside several bottle for taste comparisons every year].

Back