• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2.0

:'( Sorry to be a pain..but any word on when 2.0 version will be ready?  I'm desperate to get it on my MAC.  I'm running parallels, so I could use the PC demo on my Mac for a while, but I'd rather just learn the software once (on my Mac).

BeerSmith said:
My goal is to have V2.0 released by the end of the year, but it will depend on how the testing goes.  I'm working on it full time about 4 days a week now to finish.

Brad

Please Brad.  When is V2.0 ready? 

I have been waiting a long time now and it seems you ignore questions about this, please let us know when it is ready. 

I am on a mac myself and have been waiting a long time on Beersmith for mac now instead of buying another beer software because I figure Beersmith V2.0 will be the best out there.  But I am unable to wait much longer now having being patient and reading in different posts that it hopefully will be out by the end of the year.

Will it?

I emailed Brad, and this is the response I got from him:

My apologies - I get this question a lot and I appreciate your interest!  

I'm working 8-10 hours a day programming the next version of BeerSmith which includes the Mac version.  My current schedule is to have a beta out early next month and then set the launch date once we have some of the initial test results.  Since this is a complete rewrite of the program and I have a large user base, I'm not going to rush the release - I want to make sure it is right!

However, assuming testing goes well, I hope to have it out this Spring including the Mac version.  I have not been talking about it much because I want to get into testing and find out what kind of shape the product is in before I commit to a launch date.  However, if you keep an eye on the site I will have a lot more information about it coming as I get closer to launch.

Cheers!

I'm with you Pontius - can't wait  for the mac release - but I guess we have no choice.  It is better to wait and have an awesome product than getting a half-assed one that'll just have glitches.   :'(  

Hate to be negative, but I have been waiting all fall into winter now to purchase your software.  I can't justify purchasing software I know will be obsolete soon!

Any news on the updated release?

How about giving upgrade protection to new users since the new release appears imminent?

Thanks,
foltster

As a side note, the software runs really well on Crossover Version 8.0. 

humble suggestion : Allow someone like me, who just downloaded the trial and wants to buy the full, to pre-buy the new one right now, and allow me access to old one until it comes out.

You could offer a small discount for a pre-sale, which hopefully would get some capital coming your way, and no one would worry about buying out-dated software.

Just an idea......

Yeah, really.  I guess the clever marketing strategy worked, I ran out of time on the trial, it was brew day, there goes 22 bucks. 

All in all it's not a lot of money, but I still hope it gives me some benefit when 2.0 arrives.  It's more principle than anything.

Once I have the release date established I will open up a preorder period for those who are interested.  At the moment I've been focusing entirely (like 12+ hours a day - not kidding) on finishing the programming and data.  I'm about to enter testing in the next few weeks and once that has started I should have a much better idea of how much cleanup work remains before setting up the launch date.

I know a lot of people are looking forward to the new version, but I won't release it until its completely ready.  You will get a chance to learn a lot more about it as we get closer to the launch.

Cheers,
Brad

Frustrating. I was hoping to be able to buy the new version without having to pay full price for the current version only to have the new one follow sometime soon after. But after reading "I’ll be back in a few days with a new podcast and post a new article on a new beer style next week. "  I take that to mean the new version 2.0 is not a priority.

Version 2.0 is a priority - I'm spending most of my waking hours on it.  On average I spend 1-3 hours a week on the blog/podcast and the last few weeks I've been spending 10+ hours a day (including weekends) on programming and debugging both on the Mac and PC.  I've written over 56,000 lines of code so far (not including comments) and just started early alpha testing.  I still have a lot of testing to do, a few features to add and the help files to complete, plus some additional work to do on the Mac version.

I know everyone is frustrated.  I'm doing all I can to finish it as soon as possible, but getting it right does take time.  Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Brad

Brad,

I wouldn't worry too much about the negativity above.... those of us that have been using BS for any length of time are aware of the value of your time in all you have done. Whatever the wait.... I (we) are sure it will be worth it.

Heck, I don't even care about a "discount" anymore as a previous version owner. It's great at any price. (realistically anyway)

Keep up the good work!

Hi Brad

Pay no attention to the trolls in this thread. Quality takes time. Personally - I'm glad you're taking a "it's done when it's done" approach. Nothing good comes from rushed products. With a background in video games I have seen time and time again that programming against deadline you cannot possible meet creates some horrible results.

As for programming 10+ hours off day - stop that. You'll get lost in the code. Take your time. All the rushers out there - buy the 1.4 version. It works like a charm, it's cheap and it's here.

Release Version 2.0 when it's good and ready. Keep us updated and don't sweat it - have a home brew.

You guys are right. I was flicking shit at someone who doesnt deserve it and ultimately I know beersmith is the best product out there as I have tried a couple others. I apologize and believe me as soon as I hear 2.0 is available I will buy it.

-Jared

Jared,
  No worries - I'm working as hard as I can to make it worth the wait.  The first alpha testers seem to really enjoy the new design.

I think I was having a bad day as I had just re-read a very negative review someone named "Switchblade McGillicutty" posted regarding my book on Amazon.  In addition to calling me "insecure" because I have a PhD, he apparently thinks I'm soon going to retire in the Bahamas on the massive profits from my new book by pushing BeerSmith.  The guy has no idea that I've been contributing thousands of hours and pages of content (for free) to the brewing community for over 8 years now, or that I published the book at the request of a number of regular blog readers who actually wanted to have the content in print.

I offered to discuss his concerns offline with him but no reply from him at all. Very frustrating...

Brad

Hi Brad

As someone that has been in this world a long while, i will tell you one thing and that is you can not make all the people happy all the time, and no matter what you do there will always be one out there that just wants to piss you off. Do not worry about them. Keep up the Good work

Brad,

I am with Ecarroll and the rest on this. The old software has been my mainstay almost since I started homebrewing. I am very appreciative of the time and effort you put in to the original much less the hard work that goes in to writing the code, compiling, and debugging for the new version. It really shows in the final product. One coder to another, your software kicks @$$. <Intentional Misspelling>Nuff sed</Intentional Misspelling>

As far as the blog and other written material, I think you have done an exceptional job on that as well. You have my vote anyway.

I love the current version of Beersmith and it has been instrumental over the past year as I've gotten into homebrewing.  I don't even care that I just bought it a few months ago, I'll gladly plunk down more money for a new version.  Also love the "it's ready when it's ready" approach.  There are way too many, significantly more expensive, programs out there that are essentially released unfinished.

Back