• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2.0

ditto to all of the positive comments above - BrewSmith is fantastic - great work Brad!

signed - a fellow (insecure) PhD!

Thanks to all!

I'm actually doing fine now - just had one bad day last week.  I have my second alpha of the PC version out and getting ready to send the early Mac version to a few select testers.

Brad

Are you releasing the PC- and the Mac version at the same time or PC then Mac?

Also - It would be great it you could supplement the launch with video tutorials.

Best regards

Kim

Kim,
  I intend to release both simultaneously.  I will be doing some videos and tutorials as we get closer to launch.

Brad

Any possibility of a native Linux version?

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds great

I'm really looking forward to it, if you are looking for European alpha/beta-testers (Win7,64) I'd be happy to help.

Kim

I have a lot of Mac volunteers lined up already but could use a few more Windows beta testers in a few weeks.  In very early testing on the windows version now and it is going pretty well - the early response has been favorable though I still have much more to do.

If interested - please send an email directly to my beersmith account (@beersmith.com).  I'll take the first 10 volunteers.

Brad

Volunteer request sent - Thanks Brad! The 2.0 product sounds very exciting... Can't wait  :)

Jeff

BeerSmith said:
Jared,
  No worries - I'm working as hard as I can to make it worth the wait.  The first alpha testers seem to really enjoy the new design.

I think I was having a bad day as I had just re-read a very negative review someone named "Switchblade McGillicutty" posted regarding my book on Amazon.  In addition to calling me "insecure" because I have a PhD, he apparently thinks I'm soon going to retire in the Bahamas on the massive profits from my new book by pushing BeerSmith.  The guy has no idea that I've been contributing thousands of hours and pages of content (for free) to the brewing community for over 8 years now, or that I published the book at the request of a number of regular blog readers who actually wanted to have the content in print.

I offered to discuss his concerns offline with him but no reply from him at all. Very frustrating...

Brad

As someone who not only has a Ph.D. but also spends his time in the academic world pursuing and disseminating knowledge, I can tell you that I feel your pain.  It's tough having to read the "critique" or "constructive" criticism of your work by people who have no idea how much time, energy, resources, sacrifice and dedication went into it (in my case its the spoiled 18-24 year old millennial who doesn't understand that you don't get an A simply for paying your tuition).  I wish I could say we're all made of Teflon and all the negativity bounces right off but as a human being its tough to read what amounts to little more than anonymous hate mail from people who for whatever reason view you as the enemy despite the fact all you did was your best.  I can say though, that even though I have my share of haters I also have my fans as evidenced by the "best professor ever" and "wish I could have him for every class" comments I also sometimes receive.  I will say that though I don't care to read the negativity I've accepted the fact that its simply part of the job and so long as I'm doing my best there will be those that don't like the results of my effort but there will also be those that do.  That certainly seems to be the truth here and again, when you publish anything, in today's connected world, having to deal with trolls and self-important, self-appointed experts is just part of the job and something you'll have to deal with.  Having said that, given the number of people waiting on the edge of their seat for the newest version, I'd say you're doing a pretty good and for every negative opinion there is AT LEAST 10 that appreciate and applaud your efforts.

$0.02   

I'm ready and willing!!!!

BeerSmith said:
I have a lot of Mac volunteers lined up already but could use a few more Windows beta testers in a few weeks.  In very early testing on the windows version now and it is going pretty well - the early response has been favorable though I still have much more to do.

If interested - please send an email directly to my beersmith account (@beersmith.com).  I'll take the first 10 volunteers.

Brad

Hi Brad,

know you're busy finalising things, but wondered if the new version would be available under something like a site license? I ask as I use both PC's & Mac's at home & whilst I'm prepared to pay for an upgrade, would like to use it on both systems.

Thanks for the work you've done todate making beersmith such a useful tool. Looking forward to the next release.

Beers
Crozdog

Email sent.  Count me in if you have any further need for testers.

Justin Lang

Hi Brad, I'll give it a shot too if you still need Windows testers. I'm on Windows 7 Enterprise without SP1 but up to date with patches.

If you're interested I could have a play with it through Wine on Ubuntu?

I don't know if it would be useful to you, I'm a Windows XP user (Serv pk. 3 MCE).

I know I'm a dinosaur and all, but if it would be useful I will Volunteer to be a Beta tester.

Will you have to buy a new license key, for the new 2.0 version?  :)

Hmm. just wondering if new BeerSmith have a tool to plan parti-gyle (or party-gyle) beers too...

BTW. did You get enough volunteers yet? ;)

And is there any possibilities to new version on this year...

Ari

BeerSmith said:
  I think I was having a bad day as I had just re-read a very negative review someone named "Switchblade McGillicutty" posted regarding my book on Amazon.  In addition to calling me "insecure" because I have a PhD, he apparently thinks I'm soon going to retire in the Bahamas on the massive profits from my new book by pushing BeerSmith.  The guy has no idea that I've been contributing thousands of hours and pages of content (for free) to the brewing community for over 8 years now, or that I published the book at the request of a number of regular blog readers who actually wanted to have the content in print.

I offered to discuss his concerns offline with him but no reply from him at all. Very frustrating...

Brad

Brad,
I posted a follow up on the comments on that review.  Keep up the good work on the software and other efforts.  You're an asset to the homebrewing community.

Dave.

Hi Brad, I'd be happy to do some testing if needed.  Windows XP SP3.

There has been a lot of volunteers to help test the new version but I am willing to help test also.  I have several Win 7 SP1 machines and WinXP SP3.

Back