• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2.0

BeerSmith said:
I have a lot of Mac volunteers lined up already but could use a few more Windows beta testers in a few weeks.  In very early testing on the windows version now and it is going pretty well - the early response has been favorable though I still have much more to do.

If interested - please send an email directly to my beersmith account (@beersmith.com).  I'll take the first 10 volunteers.

Brad

I've been checking this thread weekly for months... and then I get busy at work and look what I miss!

Brad, I've got Windows XP and Vista computers at my house and would be happy to check it out if you need any windows testers.  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I'll just be lining up to buy.  Thanks for all the great work!

Brad,

I'm using 1.4 using Wine under Opensuse Linux 11.4. If you need someone to beta test 2.0 under the same setup, I'd be happy to volunteer.

mabaty said:
Any word if 2.0 will have UI updates?

Yes - it is a complete redesign of the UI (basically from scratch).  I've tried to maintain enough of the original to keep it familiar to existing users but I've significantly updated the look and feel and also added a greatly enhanced ability to work with multiple tools and recipes at once.

I'll be posting some screen shots and first look's on the forum and blog in the next few weeks, with videos to follow after that.

Brad

Does anyone know if there will be an upgrade price if you already have the older version of Beersmith. 

New to the forums and didn't find an email address to offer beta testing if still needed. I've been a long time user of beer smith and would like to help in any way to get 2.0 up and running!

Brad
I can't wait toll 2.0 is ready!

I don't think you have said too much about pricing.
I see most comments here are hoping for a free upgrade.
Please don't short change yourself.
if you charge too little, it will reduce it's value for you to continue
to keep this the most up to date and supported software on the market.
this is not an update but a complete re-write.

I think you should charge at least $50 for this release maybe more. regardless of previous versions owned.
then perhaps reduce the price each year back to the 20 ish range over several years.
I don' have a job now and my savings are down to nill but I would still pay for this software.

I know the work involved in a project like this is tremendous.
I want you to continue to support this software in the future, and listen to users as you always have.
but if people don't value it themselves with their pocket book there is no reason for you to do so.
( I think this is why the 'other' software packages are no longer updated.)

another possible pricing strategy would be charge less but more often.
charge 20 for every point release.

perhaps you could charge professional brewers more. after all I know several who use your software and are making good money.

Just wanted to let you know that some do value all the work you have done.
If I paid $20 for a brewpot or burner I would expect it to be junk.
I know your software isn't junk.

Gordon

Hay Brad,
Glad to here that the new version will be able to run multiple tools at once. Keep up the great work. Cheers!

Not to spoil it, but 2.0 is freaking sweet.  It's well worth the wait, the UI looks very modern, but like Brad said, a lot of the buttons and such are in the same areas.

Can't wait for this to go into production.  I don't care if you give discounts to previous version purchasers, It's worth it to me to buy the new version! 

Is there any updated ETA on when it will be done...or at least some screenshot maybe?

Check the blog - I will be posting screen shots today.

Brad

Brad - do you have all of the beta testers needed? I am running Windows 7 Enterprise.

Posted some early images here for you to enjoy:

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2011/05/02/beersmith-2-0-a-first-look/

Brad

I purchased v1.4 maybe 2 months ago, any chance of a credit toward 2.0 for anyone who recently purchased it?

Hi,
  Yes - I will have a separate upgrade policy for recent purchasers.

Brad

Thank you, Brad.
I was wondering the same thing.  As a recent new user I am still learning v1.4, but really looking forward to the upgrade.
Tim

What do you mean by recent purchasers? 6 months? A year or less? Bought mine last August or September. No worries though, I'd pay twice what I did for the 1.4 version ;)

ah man .... I'm giddy with anticipation - can't wait to get my hands on BS 2.0!

I'll open the preorder shortly - just trying to build the order pages and some videos to go with it. 

Brad

Back