• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 cloud disconnect

feliperins

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello.
Today I tried to access the cloud in beersmith 2 and I got the error in the photo below. Even clicking connect it keeps disconnecting. I already connected before, I already released beersmith on the firewall, I already tried to connect through my cell phone network and through another computer I have and every time the same errors occurred.

Attachments

• BS_Error.jpg
    BS_Error.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 4
This link will explain why you're having problems cloud access problems.

Well, no. It's unrealistic to expect any product and service that requires time and effort to remain functional to be maintained indefinitely by a supplier. BeerSmith is primarily a business, one valued by most BeerSmith users. Brad puts in a stellar effort across the brand and you just have to accept that things occasionally have to move on for the sake of progress.

Well. So this is to force me to buy BeerSmith 3. Ok...

You have the option of sticking with BS2 and use local storage for your recipes, as I'm sure others will do. If you decide to do that,
and brew away from your desktop/laptop, just print out the Brew Steps from the recipe to keep track of your brew day.

IMO, the cost of upgrading to BS3 is well worth it. There have been many improvements and features added since its inception. I've been a BeerSmith user since ver.1.xx and always look forward to upgrades as they become available. The web version is now included with BS3 subscriptions, so you can have both for as little as $14.95/year. That's about half of what it costs to brew an average 5-gallon batch. If you would rather purchase like you did BS2, $34.95 is still a great deal at todays prices.

FYI When using version 2, you actually DO connect to the cloud, but then the app disconnects you about 1/4 second later. You can actually see your recipe listing for a fraction of a second. So it's not about connecting, it's staying connected.

I'm going to purchase version 3 even though it has no new features for me that version 2 didn't have. I just want it to work. I think it stinks that a security upgrade breaks version 2, though. I strongly suggest having the developers adhere to SOLID. Regardless, I'm happy to continue supporting BeerSmith. :) However, I refuse to rent any software, so it's BeerSmith Basic for me! /cheer

Well, no. It's unrealistic to expect any product and service that requires time and effort to remain functional to be maintained indefinitely by a supplier. BeerSmith is primarily a business, one valued by most BeerSmith users. Brad puts in a stellar effort across the brand and you just have to accept that things occasionally have to move on for the sake of progress.
Untrue, though it may sound unrealistic for you. :) You should look up SOLID and see what the O stands for. If BeerSmith devs followed that standard, upgrading BeerSmith's cloud security should've resulted in either a security patch or a version upgrade; breaking backwards compatibility is rarely acceptable.

Regardless, I'm happy to upgrade to BS3 Basic and have refused to do so for years only because the option to purchase it wasn't available like it is now. I'm glad to support Brad's team with the upgrade, though I sure hope they start adhering to SOLID principles. :D

Whatever. I'm just happy that I can buy an upgraded version. :D

Untrue, though it may sound unrealistic for you. :) You should look up SOLID and see what the O stands for. If BeerSmith devs followed that standard, upgrading BeerSmith's cloud security should've resulted in either a security patch or a version upgrade; breaking backwards compatibility is rarely acceptable.

Regardless, I'm happy to upgrade to BS3 Basic and have refused to do so for years only because the option to purchase it wasn't available like it is now. I'm glad to support Brad's team with the upgrade, though I sure hope they start adhering to SOLID principles. :D

Whatever. I'm just happy that I can buy an upgraded version. :D
No, it's true. The "shelf life", in terms of maintenance/support expected by a provider, of a product or service, is up to about 10 years max in Europe. For software, I'd say 10 years is far too long. It's simply not a viable business model. Things change; development and progress are inevitable, especially in the digital sphere. In some cases, very few, if you're lucky, volunteers might maintain some kind of service, but when a business upgrades its service, it must focus on that. That's the bottom line. I was really happy with BS2. When I updated my OS, BS2 was no longer compatible. Within days of updating to BS3, I was like, "I should have done this ages ago". That was a few years ago. When "BS4" arrives, I'm just going to roll with it and rock on brewing. 🤘

And also keep in mind that there are no "devs" at Beersmith. Brad Smith runs this operation all by himself.

Well. So this is to force me to buy BeerSmith 3. Ok...
Actually Im moving to Brewfather. I have a lifetime license on BS2. I have also purchased full license of Beersmith mobile 3 and now I cannot even share my own recipies between my devices.
Im sorry but no.
Beersmith is dead for me. It has a couple of weeks I was trying to connect. Only consider looking into this forum now. Extremely disappointed.
Bye Greg. Bye Beersmith.

Actually Im moving to Brewfather. I have a lifetime license on BS2. I have also purchased full license of Beersmith mobile 3 and now I cannot even share my own recipies between my devices.
Im sorry but no.
Beersmith is dead for me. It has a couple of weeks I was trying to connect. Only consider looking into this forum now. Extremely disappointed.
Bye Greg. Bye Beersmith.

Brewfather is a good piece of software. I'm sure it will work well for you. Good luck.

Back