• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 Linux Open Beta

Thanks - I will take a close look at the export function!

Brad

Thanks for the native Linux version! Now I don't have to use virtualbox with windows to run beersmith :)

Beersmith seems to work great in 64-bit Arch Linux, and the trial version is available in the AUR (Arch User Repository), which makes it painfree to install :)

I am running it on both 11.10 and 10.04.4.  I have to say it runs 100x better on the 10.04 release (64) than 11.10 (64).

Window scrolling is very buggy, (Won't always scroll) Copy/Paste of folders and recipes doesn't always work, and pop-up windows are cropped so I can't get to save or exit unless I make them full screen (Can't drag them around) and the APP freeze's from time to time.

If you minimize the application its gone. ALT-TAB won't bring it back, its "hidden" I have to kill the process and restart.

I also have issues when I exit the application, it does't kill the process, so I have to nuke it from a terminal before I restart BeerSmith.  The Lock File mentioned above also happens if I kill the process due to minimizing or closing the application and re-starting.

I have only had these problems in Ubuntu 11.10.  10.04 seems to work just fine.

All in all, I am extremely happy its ported to Linux!  The above issues aren't going to bother me really as I don't use 11.x day-2-day due to its poor performance and general dis-like of Unity.

Linux TTM-T420 3.2.0-17-generic #27-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 24 22:03:50 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I just used alien to convert the .deb to an Opensuse rpm. It is running perfectly on Opensuse 12.1 x64. I had absolutely no problems with the install, the dependencies were perfect. Thanks for the conversion to Linux. I love it!

aronparsons said:
First, thanks for finally supporting Linux.  I'm happy to rid of WINE from my system.

I have created a spec file that converts the .deb into an RPM and requires all of the right dependencies on F16.

Do you have plans to support a proper RPM for Fedora in the future?  There were only two bugs I came across when packaging it:
1. there is a static rpath in the 'beersmith2' binary.  I had to disable rpath checks in the spec file to avoid an error.
2. you link against a newer version of wxWidgets compared to what ships in F16, so we still need to ship your local copies.  Is this a hard dependency or if you recompiled on F16 would things be fine?  It would be nice to not redistribute libraries that are already in the distro.

spec: http://aronparsons.s3.amazonaws.com/beersmith.spec
RPM: http://aronparsons.s3.amazonaws.com/beersmith-2.0.60-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm

Just wanted to say thanks for that .rpm
I've just installed it on my F16 system, and so far it's running great.

cheers!

Hi,
what a fantastic  program ! :)
Everything works well, but I have a slight bug when clicking on Help button.
It opens winebrowser and then opens winebrowser and then open winebrowser.....
It never stop except if I kill wineserver....
I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 64bits
Wine is installed of course...
Don't understand why it launch winebrowser.
Am I alone ? :)
Thanks all,

David

Edit:
Here is launched programs: /bin/sh /usr/bin/xdg-open file:///home/elhijo/.wine/dosdevices/z:/usr/share/BeerSmith2/help/my_recipes_and_folders.htm
Z: is linked to /

Edit2: It seems to be a xdg-open probleme, I have same issue with "xdg-open /usr/share/BeerSmith2/help/my_recipes_and_folders.htm"

Edit3: Sorry for this useless post, really seems to be a xdg issue.
Anyway, /usr/bin/sensible-browser don't have this issue.... ;)

I'm running BeerSmith2 under Linux Mint (an Ubuntu derivative.)  Right now I'm getting the message "Another copy of BeerSmith is already running.  You may only run one copy at a time" in a pop-up and I can't get past it. 

I saw mention of a lock file but not the path to it.  Where does this beasty live?

OK: found the lockfile. 

For those who don't know it is in your home directory as a file "BeerSmith2-{userid}"  where userid is your userid.  Remove that and BeerSmith will start.

beerpilot said:
I am running LinuxMint 12, 32 bit.

When trying to export a recipe in any of the 3 formats I get a dialog box stating "Writing files of this type not yet completed" I have reinstalled BeerSmith2 and the dialog persists.

Thanks,
Mike

I've got the same OS and problem - is there a work around for this? without an export function I can't use it as intended and am bound to my laptop at home when I could be using it with my Win7 PC at work  ;)

Thanks!

If you're experiencing problems using Ubuntu Software Centre to install the Debian package BeerSmith-2.0.60.deb, GDebi is a great alternative.

sudo apt-get install gdebi gdebi-core

Right click on BeerSmith-2.0.60.deb, select Open With GDebi Package Installer.

drinkingcoffee said:
aronparsons said:
First, thanks for finally supporting Linux.  I'm happy to rid of WINE from my system.

I have created a spec file that converts the .deb into an RPM and requires all of the right dependencies on F16.

Do you have plans to support a proper RPM for Fedora in the future?  There were only two bugs I came across when packaging it:
1. there is a static rpath in the 'beersmith2' binary.  I had to disable rpath checks in the spec file to avoid an error.
2. you link against a newer version of wxWidgets compared to what ships in F16, so we still need to ship your local copies.  Is this a hard dependency or if you recompiled on F16 would things be fine?  It would be nice to not redistribute libraries that are already in the distro.

spec: http://aronparsons.s3.amazonaws.com/beersmith.spec
RPM: http://aronparsons.s3.amazonaws.com/beersmith-2.0.60-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm

Just wanted to say thanks for that .rpm
I've just installed it on my F16 system, and so far it's running great.

cheers!

Thanks again for this spec file. I used it to make a new RPM for the 2.0.65 version.
Not sure if I did the right thing, but I had to change the %install section a bit to make things work:

Code:
%install
cd %{name}-%{version}
%{__rm} -rf %{buildroot}/*
%{__cp} -a * %{buildroot}/

Otherwise, it was deleting the wrong directory and then copying files to the wrong place.

cheers.

Hi and like others here I'd like to express my gratitude for porting this across to Linux. It's really appreciated! I'd previously been running a virtual machine solely for Beersmith (couldn't stand the WINE version).

I'll keep a note of any bugs I come across and post them in the main Bugs/Support area (unless you'd prefer to address Linux issues in this topic of course).

Great work and thanks once again!

Hi, I think I've found a bug.

When I try to add a note, by going View -> Notes -> Add Note, the program crashes when I hit OK after adding the text I want to the note.

Running BS from the command line, it gives this error message after crashing:
Code:
(beersmith2:18104): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
[1]    18104 segmentation fault  beersmith2

I'm running BeerSmith v2.1.02 on a 64-bit Arch Linux computer. I could also add that I'm using xmonad as my window manager, since the crash seems to be "window related".

Hi

Just tried to install the beta on Ubuntu 12.04 throught he software centre. It refuses to allow the install saying rhe package is of bad quality. Details below -

Lintian check results for /home/dave/Downloads/BeerSmith-2.1.02_amd64.deb:
Use of uninitialized value $ENV{"HOME"} in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/lintian line 108.
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_net-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_net-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_propgrid-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_propgrid-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_qa-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_qa-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_ribbon-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_ribbon-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_stc-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_stc-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.9.so.3 1000/1000

Any suggestions? I can ignore and install anyway but would rather not. Can't wait to give it a try so I can stop running it under wine.
Cheers
Dave

Hi,

I too experienced the same error as Dave in the post above.  I'm on Ubuntu Linux 12.04.  Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Thanks,
I've not had time to check 12.04 but will give it a try as soon as I can find a few minutes.  Hopefully later this week...just need time to actually install it.

Brad

I'm also having issues with libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3 but I'm not running a Debian/Ubuntu system so I realize this may not be considered a valid install.

A little history... I ran the trial version 2-3 months ago with no issues, that was on OpenSuse 12.1 x64.  I used alien to covert to an rpm and install went perfect, I seem to recall that a profile tweak was needed in my home directory but that's all.  A couple weeks ago I was ready to move to OpenSuse 12.2 x64 and not being a fan of OS upgrades I did a new install, other than my home directory.  Since BeerSmith worked for me previously I just went ahead with the purchase yesterday but now I can't get it to launch due to something with libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3
/usr/bin/beersmith2: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since this had previously worked I wonder where the change is coming from.  Is the Linux download of BeerSmith any different today that it was around August time frame?  Anyone suggestions, other than a different OS?

Until I get this working in OpenSuse I'll be running on a Windows system, but once it works I'll be installing on my Linux desktop and laptop and removing from the Windows system, will I have any activation issues with three installs (only two active).

I'll answer my own post.  After sending this I wondered what if it's due to the old data in my home directory, so renamed .beersmith and now it launches with no issues.

scsever said:
I'm also having issues with libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3 but I'm not running a Debian/Ubuntu system so I realize this may not be considered a valid install.

A little history... I ran the trial version 2-3 months ago with no issues, that was on OpenSuse 12.1 x64.  I used alien to covert to an rpm and install went perfect, I seem to recall that a profile tweak was needed in my home directory but that's all.  A couple weeks ago I was ready to move to OpenSuse 12.2 x64 and not being a fan of OS upgrades I did a new install, other than my home directory.  Since BeerSmith worked for me previously I just went ahead with the purchase yesterday but now I can't get it to launch due to something with libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3
/usr/bin/beersmith2: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since this had previously worked I wonder where the change is coming from.  Is the Linux download of BeerSmith any different today that it was around August time frame?  Anyone suggestions, other than a different OS?

Until I get this working in OpenSuse I'll be running on a Windows system, but once it works I'll be installing on my Linux desktop and laptop and removing from the Windows system, will I have any activation issues with three installs (only two active).

First off, thanks for porting this to Linux.

Now that said. I have an issue I ran into. I run Kubuntu. I'm running the most recent release that uses KDE 4.9.5. I installed Beersmith and moved my configuration from my old Windows install. All is good there.

The issue I'm having is printing. When printing I get a dark black background. The colors seem to match the color scheme that I have configured for my desktop. The print preview looks fine. The background is white, the boxes are laid out the text is black but, when I print to the printer or to a file (pdf) the background is not what the preview is showing.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the print preview and the output of printing to a PDF. (The same result as printing to a real printer)

Attachments

• Beersmith Print to PDF.pdf.zip
    312.8 KB · Views: 359
Hi,
  Some people have had trouble with printing under Linux to certain printers.

The best workaround I know of is to use the "Save Report" button in the preview window pane to save the current report to a file, then print it from any browser.  This works well for anyone having printing issues.

Brad

Back