• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 3.1 Open Beta Download Available

I am using 3.1.04 and can't find how to set the default recipe. I have searched the ribbon and menus over and over and can't find it. Where is it?
--GF

I see it on the toolbar ribbon.  Highlighted in screen shot.  The icon is the same when you have small icons for the toolbar.

Attachments

• toolbar.jpg
    toolbar.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 518
BeerSmith said:
That is odd - I just tried it here on my Catalina machine and it does properly show the cursor in all text fields. 
I'm also running 10.15.5 on my OSX and just updated it yesterday.

Brad
Brad, I've discovered the culprit.

DARK MODE

I generally am in dark mode all the time (what can I say? I like it)... wondered just now if maybe that was causing me grief... as soon as I switched back to light mode, the cursor became visible.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Jeff,
  Yes I was thinking about this over the weekend and realized that is probably the problem.  BeerSmith forces the background light to match the color scheme on many controls and that creates issues in dark mode.  I worked this for several days about a month back and had only limited success with dark mode due to limits in the cross platform tools I'm using.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution at the moment for a perfect dark mode implementation, as it conflicts with the custom styles available in BeerSmith - however I'll continue to work this for a future release.

Brad

Brad,

No worries. I'm just glad I proved to myself I wasn't crazy! (well, at least in this instance). And it's not a deal-breaker. Great program, thanks for the work.

Jeff

beerprof said:
Brad,

No worries. I'm just glad I proved to myself I wasn't crazy! (well, at least in this instance). And it's not a deal-breaker. Great program, thanks for the work.

Jeff

I should also mention that if I have a recipe open in a "new window" when I move through the tabs, for example from Design to Notes, the window size changes. While not terrible, it is a little cumbersome.

Brad,

Along with the tabs resizing the horizontal window size... I've noticed that if I set the overall window height, that setting does not hold. The only way I can reset is if I go to full screen then back. I've attached a pic below. Note this ONLY occurs if I've opened the recipe in a "New Window".

Jeff

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 1.46.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 1.46.23 PM.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 503
Thanks - I can see that the separate recipe window issue is also a problem on the Windows version, so yes it is an issue, and I'll put it on the bug list.  However when I open the old 3.0.8 version it also has similar issues with recipes in a separate window, so apparently the bug has been around for a while but no one caught it.  The old version was actually a bit more inconsistent with its resizing.

So I will work to fix this for the next update, but I'm probably not going to hold up the 3.1 release at this point since the problem has existed for some time with no one else reporting it.  I do appreciate you finding these issues though Jeff - keep them coming!

I did just start launching 3.1 on the download page as I think it is a significant improvement overall over 3.0 and so far we've had no killer issues arise from the beta testers who have been using it for months.

Brad

Is the issue with the previous release (last of 3.0) for printing under Windows 10 fixed with this release? If not, when will it actually be addressed since it's a rather significant usability flaw. If you cannot print out your recipe [properly] from within the app, it's an issue. I can't be the only one that prints out the recipe for use on brew day so that my [not cheap] electronics don't go anywhere near the wort. Or grain dust. Or large volumes of water either for brewing or running through the chiller.

agoldberg308 said:
Is the issue with the previous release (last of 3.0) for printing under Windows 10 fixed with this release? If not, when will it actually be addressed since it's a rather significant usability flaw. If you cannot print out your recipe [properly] from within the app, it's an issue. I can't be the only one that prints out the recipe for use on brew day so that my [not cheap] electronics don't go anywhere near the wort. Or grain dust. Or large volumes of water either for brewing or running through the chiller.

Which report are you printing out?  I use the recipe report and print it out without any issues.  It worked under the 3.0 releases and now it still works fine under the 3.1 releases.  I just tried printing to pdf to test this out as well and it looks fine as well.  Sample pdf attached.

Attachments

• test print.pdf
    384.8 KB · Views: 192
Hi,
  If you have print issues, please try going to Options->Reports and check the box to print to browser.  This will send printouts to your browser which gives you much more control over how the reports are printed.

Brad

I have no problem printing recipes from either the Design tab or the report. Also running Windows 10 and have never had a problem printing anything in BeersSmith.

I posted a minor 3.1.6 update for Mac only to fix an issue where "Copy To" and "Move To" commands were not updating the destination recipe folder view properly if that view was not visible.

Brad

I'm unable to print when I select "send printouts to default browser/text viewer".  The error message I get is in the attached image.

"Safari can't open the page "...long string w/ localhost address..." because Safari can't connect to the server "localhost".

What do I need to do to correct this issue?

Using Beersmith 3.1.06

I think I have found the solution for the "print to browser" problems in 3.1.  I am working a fix for version 3.1.7 which I hope to have out soon.  I have a few other bugs I'm trying to consolidate as well.

Thanks,
Brad

There is a problem with dry hopping from old recipes opened in 3.1. I have some that have dry hops listed for 5 days, which was all you could specify in older versions. When I open these recipes in 3.1 the dry hops are listed as "dry hop for 5 days, 3 days before bottling". Since the previous versions didn't specify when the dry hops were to be added, I don't know where the "3 days before bottling" came from, and I'm not sure what the default should be, but that isn't it!

--GF

I had to pick some default, and days before bottling seemed reasonable.  Once you import into 3.1 you can change it to
any phase or time that you wish.

Brad

I'm looking forward to trying out 3.1.  Is there an updated release date for the Linux platform?

Yes - the Linux update is in testing now and should be out shortly.

Brad

Back