• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 3

terragady

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi are there any plans for bs3? Or you will just upgrade version 2 for now? Will we require new license for new version?

terragady said:
Hi are there any plans for bs3? Or you will just upgrade version 2 for now? Will we require new license for new version?

Probably not

Generally, Brad has expressed the policy that program fixes, minor changes and additions would be an extension of the 2.x family and upgrades would be available for free.  Large additions, rewrites and major GUI improvements would be the start of a 3.x version and would require the repurchasing of the software license.

Brad has made some comments about a rewrite, but I don't know the time schedule yet.  I would guess that it would be a while if there are major changes which would require significant beta testing before it was released.

Oginme said:
Generally, Brad has expressed the policy that program fixes, minor changes and additions would be an extension of the 2.x family and upgrades would be available for free.  Large additions, rewrites and major GUI improvements would be the start of a 3.x version and would require the repurchasing of the software license.

Brad has made some comments about a rewrite, but I don't know the time schedule yet.  I would guess that it would be a while if there are major changes which would require significant beta testing before it was released.

I never support companies that don't give me free access to a major release if I pay say for example $ 200 for the prior version it's a joke.

I recall an email correspondence I had with Brad a couple years ago and if I understood what he was saying, it sounded like he was leaning toward the possibility of a web based application.  Personally, I would prefer a personal machine based system.  But if that?s the direction this software goes, so be it. 

This software has come a long way just in the couple years I?ve been using it.  I can?t imagine how some of the long-time users must feel.

KellerBrauer said:
This software has come a long way just in the couple years I?ve been using it.  I can?t imagine how some of the long-time users must feel.

Back in the day I casually tinkered with some other brewing software that didn't come close to Beersmith.
I confess I don't even use many of the features of BS, but once you get your profiles and BH efficiency dialed in, there's no comparison. I can't imagine using anything else.
In my perfect world, it would be nice to have BS integrated with Bru'n water but I don't see that as a practical or viable option. I guess I can live with a separate spreadsheet of water management.

Baron,

I agree.  It's almost a ho-hum brewing day around here.  I almost wish sometimes for missing a volume or gravity readings to bring some excitement back in at times.

Seriously though, it is the best $21 spent on brewing.  If Brad announces a V3.x coming out tomorrow, I'd line up for it. 

Ck27 said:
I never support companies that don't give me free access to a major release if I pay say for example $ 200 for the prior version it's a joke.

First, BeerSmith costs ~$20, so...

Second, when you pay $200 they often charge 10%/yr for "support"

Brad's a small business - I'll pay for any major upgrades.

uSlackr said:
Ck27 said:

First, BeerSmith costs ~$20, so...

Second, when you pay $200 they often charge 10%/yr for "support"

Brad's a small business - I'll pay for any major upgrades.

Still i love the software, but i dont think i would pay for it again if i had to, i would just use the old version but thats just me, Brads been helpful, very much so, and because of that i can safely say beersmith is the best software for brewing.

[/quote]

Still i love the software, but i dont think i would pay for it again if i had to, i would just use the old version but thats just me, Brads been helpful, very much so, and because of that i can safely say beersmith is the best software for brewing.
[/quote]

Continuing to use an earlier version is an alternative. Personally, if the cost of upgrading to a newer version was even close to what BS2 cost, I wouldn't bat an eye before purchasing. My wife and I live on social security, so we are very value conscience. BeerSmith has saved me what it cost many times over.

[/quote]

Continuing to use an earlier version is an alternative. Personally, if the cost of upgrading to a newer version was even close to what BS2 cost, I wouldn't bat an eye before purchasing. My wife and I live on social security, so we are very value conscience. BeerSmith has saved me what it cost many times over.
[/quote]
Its saved me from getting too much grains like 200000000 times over.

Hey Brad,

Anything to wet our whistle re: Features, Functionality or version upgrades?

Thirsty supporters would love to hear from you

Thanks, Rick

So are we giving up on the next version

I posted this 3 months ago and not a single reply since

Hey Brad...  Is this thing on...can you hear me now... :-\

Rick

Yes I've been working on a the next release.  I just started beta testing with a limited set of testers so it does exist. 

I'll release the details before Homebrewcon in June, but I think most people will be happy with the upcoming changes.

An online / browser version was mentioned above. That would be so nice. Then I wouldnt have to buy a new pc, but could use my chromebook with a full version? Wow, would love it, and then Id buy a Beersmith-version.

BeerSmith said:
Yes I've been working on a the next release.  I just started beta testing with a limited set of testers so it does exist. 

I'll release the details before Homebrewcon in June, but I think most people will be happy with the upcoming changes.

Fingers crossed for Homebrewcon!

I was managing to use only the Android version. The need for better usage made me download the PC version trial. Loved it. Am going to buy it. Question: should I wait for the BS 3? Or can I buy it now, and get the update (or need to pay only the difference, if the new version has a higher price range)?

Thanks for the marvelous work!!

Announcement coming on the blog today - preorder opens in the next few days...
  http://beersmith.com/blog

Brad

I just went to upgrade my trial version, and saw the Beersmith 3 notice.  I am not particularly stuck to the idea of using Beersmith 2 - should I just preorder Beersmith 3 and wait a couple of weeks?

DownstairsBrewing said:
I just went to upgrade my trial version, and saw the Beersmith 3 notice.  I am not particularly stuck to the idea of using Beersmith 2 - should I just preorder Beersmith 3 and wait a couple of weeks?

It looks like you can activate V2 and expect an upgrade when it's released.

From the blog:

Recent BeerSmith 2 Purchasers: If you bought BeerSmith 2 after 15 October 2017 you can use this link https://beersmithrecipes.com/upgrade2 to get a free 12 month Gold membership. Log in and enter your activation key (from Help->Activate in BeerSmith 2) and the system will apply install your BeerSmith 3 license in your account.

Back