• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith crashing

S

Shay

I purchased BeerSmith around two weeks ago. Entered user ID and everything was fine. I used quite a few times after that.

Now, everytime I start the program, it crashes before it even comes up. I re-started the computer, but it is still crashing.

It crashes right as the smaller gray rectangle comes up, so I am not sure what the error is.

Can anyone help?

Hi!

The only cases I have found of this were caused by a corrupt data file.  Here's a manual process for detecting the file and correcting it from the automatic backups.

1. VERY IMPORTANT - FIRST BACK UP ALL OF YOUR DATA FILES - to include everything in the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory.  Especially the *.BSM and *.BAK files.  Copy them to another safe location in a separate directory on your hard drive.  Copy everything so you do not lose any data.

2. I'm not sure which file might be corrupt, but BeerSmith makes backups of all your files automatically.

a. After you have copied all of the files to a separate location, you can try deleting (MAKE SURE THEY ARE COPIED SOMEWHERE SAFE FIRST!) all of the *.BSM and *.BAK files in the "c:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.  This will empty all of your databases.  Then run BeerSmith - it should run but you will have no data in your databases.   If it does not run at this point, drop me an email.

b. Now try opening each of the BSM files in your SAVED COPY directory from BeerSmith using the IMPORT command on the File menu.  Start with the data files (Grain.bsm, and so on) first and try the Recipe.bsm last.

c. You will likely find at least one that does not open.   If that is the case, try opening the backup files with the same name (i.e. "Recipe_1.bak" , "Recipe_2.bak" and so on until you find one that runs OK.

d. Now its time to restore the files...probably the easiest way to do this is to simply copy and paste the items from each "good" saved file (as you open them) into the respective tables in your corresponding database.  For example after you open "Grain.bsm" and make sure it is good, you can select all of the items in it and copy/paste them into your "Grains & Extracts" main table.  Repeat for all of them until you are running again.

An alternative (also) is to just copy the good files back to your "c:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

I'm sorry this is so manually intensive.  The next version of BeerSmith I'm working on will attempt to automatically recover from such errors by pulling up the backup databases from newest to oldest.

Please drop me an email if you have any additional questions or problems.

Cheers!
Brad

I've started to run into "similar" problems, but not quite so long lasting...when I bring BeerSmith up it will many times crash, but if I click to bring it up again right away, it comes up  fine.  Hasn't been much of an annoyance, but I'll try the stuff you posted to see if that was my problem.  It could also be some Windows service is set to start manually and isn't up when I bring the program up the first time, but after priming the pump, BeerSmith gets whatever service it needs and comes up fine the second time.  I have definately tweaked the services on the machine I'm running BeerSmith on since I also used to use it for gaming.

I'm also having beersmith crash. I'll try the fix described above and let you know how it goes.

Lee,
 Please drop me an email - we've had only a handful of these issues and I'm very interested in taking a look at any "bad files" you have.

I want to make sure I put checks in wherever possible to detect and correct errors before they create a data problem.  Obviously - there are some problems I can't prevent like a hard power failure during the save or bad spot on the disk - but even in these cases I'm trying to make the software recover as best I can.

Cheers!

Brad

:eek: ???
same problems, after downloading new brew lists, I'll try the remidy listed above and folow up asap
JT

Brad,
I reinstalled the program and got the same error today.

Invalid page fault in module beersmith.exe 0167:00447f95 followed by a bunch of numbers then a stack dump followed by more numbers.

OS Win98 run in virtual pc for mac.

While I've got your attention is there a way to adjust the grain absorption? Looks like the program has a set default but i don't know what it is, or if i can change it.

Thanks,
Lee

Lee,
 First make a backup of your "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory (always) so you can import any data later.

Second - try uninstalling, but this time also remove the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory after you have uninstalled.  The uninstaller does not automatically remove your data files - in part because I'm trying not to risk losing any data.

Now reinstall and run the program.  If it works you can reimport any data you need.

Finally, if this fails, there is the possibility of a registry problem - email me and I can send you instructions.

At the moment there is no adjustment for grain absorbtion.  It is an addition I'm considering for a future version.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,
I just did the uninstall and deleted the beersmith folder. Reinstalled and it crashed one more time. However, when i restarted the program a second time it worked fine.
I did note that the program had a problem after i imported a previous recipe and draged it to my recipes, not sure if this was the cause of the problem.
I'll keep you posted if it happens again.

Thanks Again,
Lee

Lee,
 It is possible that the file/recipe had a problem with it.

I'm working on improving error recovery - even if a file has been corrupted - on the new version.  As always it will be a free upgrade for registered users.

Cheers!
Brad

Not to highjack this thread (well, guess I am, anyway), but....

Lee, are you successfully running BeerSmith on a Mac? I noticed that the error you posted mentioned Virtual PC. To tell the truth, BeerSmith has been the only piece of software keeping me from dumping my Winblows machine and picking up an iBook/PowerBook. Thoughts?

cm,
Yes I'm usng a mac with virtual pc. Beersmith is working fine after a minor problem which i believe now was a corrupted file. I tried other well known homebrew software programs but beersmith won me over with its easy to use interface.
What do you mainly use the computer for? I have a mac at home because my wife is a graphic designer so we need it for the software she uses. The only thing i run on virtual pc is the homebrew software and cad, everything else (internet, MS office, itunes mp3 player etc) i run on the apple.
I must say i have never had any problems with the mac in my 10 years of useage, no blue screen of death.

Later,
Lee

Brad,
Beersmith has started to crash again today after i closed the program and tried to open it again. Here is the fault msg i got.

BEERSMITH caused an invalid page fault in

module BEERSMITH.EXE at 0167:00475d02.

Registers:

EAX=206c6565 CS=0167 EIP=00475d02 EFLGS=00000206

EBX=00000001 SS=016f ESP=0076f544 EBP=0076f56c

ECX=014d4078 DS=016f ESI=014d4078 FS=19c7

EDX=015d2880 ES=016f EDI=015d1b80 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8b 10 ff 74 24 04 8b c8 ff 52 70 c2 04 00 8b 41

Stack dump:

0048285c 0000e901 004ae7d8 004461d9 00000000 00000001 004ae7d8 0047621f 004ae7d8 00000111 0076f59c 004763ac 015d1b80 00000083 00000000 00446170

Hope that helps.

Thanks Again,
Lee

Very strange that you are having this problem.

I have one other thought - do you have your "Auto Update" setting under the "Options" page on the "Tools" menu set to anything other than manual?

I recall early on that one user had problems when the system was set to automatically check for updates and his firewall was blocking part of the update process resulting in a crash.

This is just a thought - recommend you set it to manual and give it a try for a while.

I'm very interested in the results.  In the meantime I will try to trace the stack dump you gave me.

Thanks!
Brad

yes i did change it auto update rather than manual. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Lee

It is possible - I thought I had fixed this problem in V1.2, but depending on your network settings and firewall it could still be a problem.

Could you give it a try and let me know what you find?  If this is the source of your problem I think I will be able to more quickly narrow it down and correct it.

In the meantime I will take a look at the automatic download section of code to see if there could be a problem there.

Brad

Brad,
OK i reinstalled again and left the update on the manual setting. Everything appears to be working ok so far. I'll keep you posted if it crashes again.

Lee

PS The import of my previously entered recipes went ok, I just replaced the recipe file with my backup copy.

That's good - let me know as I certainly want to fix this if it is still a problem.

Are you running a firewall?  How do you access the internet?

Cheers!
Brad

not sure how it is set up through virtual pc but i do have a router connected to my mac. I know i can access the web through IE in virtual pc but have been unable to access my email. I think some of the ports must be blocked.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your speedy replies.

Lee

Brad,
Just wanted to let you know everything is running fine since i left the update on the manual setting.

Lee

Back