• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith equipment profile help!

hoppybrewster

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm moving to all grain but using an unorthodox method. Please don't tell me it's not true BIAB, I already know that. The all grain guys will tell me it's not all grain either, sorry. So, here it goes, 13 gallon brew pot (doing 5 gal batches), 52 quart Coleman extreme (yes I know its too big but it's what I have), Brew Bag brand bag to fit entire cooler. 50k BTU burner. My plan is to use full water volume with full grain bill in cooler, no sparge. Drain directly into brew pot for boil. As soon as you stop laughing please tell me how to set up the equipment profile in the equipment wizard. May need Brad's help on this one. Thanks for the help!

This isn't really an equipment issue. You set your mashtun size to equal 52 quarts in whatever units you're using. Enter the correct weight and specific heat number. done.

Your next task is to find your grain absorption ratio. This is easily done by carefully measuring a volume of mash water, mashing and then measuring the yield to the boil kettle. The difference is grain absorption. The math is simply water (as fluid ounces) divided by dry grain weight (in ounces). You enter this number in Options > Advanced. You can enter it as both regular and BIAB absorption, to make things easier.

With these data points in BeerSmith, you can create a mash and water ratio that yield the correct preboil volume (referencing the vols tab). You'll get a red dot next to the mash volume if you exceed the mashtun size.

brewfun said:
This isn't really an equipment issue. You set your mashtun size to equal 52 quarts in whatever units you're using. Enter the correct weight and specific heat number. done.

Your next task is to find your grain absorption ratio. This is easily done by carefully measuring a volume of mash water, mashing and then measuring the yield to the boil kettle. The difference is grain absorption. The math is simply water (as fluid ounces) divided by dry grain weight (in ounces). You enter this number in Options > Advanced. You can enter it as both regular and BIAB absorption, to make things easier.

With these data points in BeerSmith, you can create a mash and water ratio that yield the correct preboil volume (referencing the vols tab). You'll get a red dot next to the mash volume if you exceed the mashtun size.

I don't understand mash tun weight? What is that?

hoppybrewster said:

Exactly what it sounds like.... Pot the mashtun on a scale. Record the weight in the equipment profile.  8)

brewfun said:
hoppybrewster said:

Exactly what it sounds like.... Pot the mashtun on a scale. Record the weight in the equipment profile.  8)

Full of grain and water or empty? What does that do in the formula?

I know this is really old, but did you set it up and get the profile working, I am about to do basically the same thing, mash in a bag I guess ;)

You can find a video walk through of setting up your equipment profile at the links below:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/04/beersmith-tutorial-equipment-profile-setup/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYrHmduuJfY

Back