• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.

Will you brew this?

• Total voters
Pretty much any saturday or sunday. As long as we can plan this out a couple weeks in advance so I can plan for it.

well, as you can see...old day late and dollar short here...Couple of questions;
Did we determine a water profile, or should we use our own?
The Munich, is that 10 02 20 L?
Could not find "pale" chocolate.
Hopiing to put the order in for the bill this week.
I put it inoto a blank recipe on a Robust Porter and the scales were all off the charts.

billy brew. I'm using London water, my Munich is what they call light, I think that its 10L. I have pale choc but I think you could use reg choc say L 350 just use less. anyways that is what I would do.
It's funny, I'm planning to mill up the grains for this latter to night or tomorrow , so don't think your that late, I'm running behind myself.
  As far as the charts go, the abv will be high but all the other numbers should be in line with R Porter.   

just to let everyone know my brew day went good with this recipe and it is fermenting away on day 2 now. Ended up with 1.069 OG and it's @ 64 for temp. the notty yeast I used started slow, took 24 hr to kick in. hope that's not an indication that I under pitched. could be the temp when I pitched but it's rolling now so I'll check in when it hit FG.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this brew mainly from a flavor perspective (mainly because I don't have a firm understanding of categorized beer styles).

First off let me sing some praise for the Burton ale yeast. When I first tasted the starter I made I nearly dumped it because I thought it could be infected, but a quick Google search showed that this is high acetaldehyde yeast. It has a massive fruit taste that just totally completes this beer.

The second thing you notice with this beer is a high degree of roast. This combines with the high fruit from the yeast and just absolutely wows you with flavor. It's not dominant in chocolate or roasted barley or even the ton of brown malt, just a perfect combination of the three that also blends perfectly with the yeast. The alcohol also seems to blend in at a perfect level as well.

I can't comment on the hop level because I can't pick them out of beers other than massive IIPA style, but they certainly don't detract from the recipe at all.

This is actually one of the rare brews where I don't have any comments on what I would change for the next time brewing. The closest thing I could use to describe the overall flavor would be "a spot on clone for Guiness Foreign Extra Stout".

grathan said:
Just wanted to share my thoughts on this brew mainly from a flavor perspective (mainly because I don't have a firm understanding of categorized beer styles).

First off let me sing some praise for the Burton ale yeast. When I first tasted the starter I made I nearly dumped it because I thought it could be infected, but a quick Google search showed that this is high acetaldehyde yeast. It has a massive fruit taste that just totally completes this beer.

The second thing you notice with this beer is a high degree of roast. This combines with the high fruit from the yeast and just absolutely wows you with flavor. It's not dominant in chocolate or roasted barley or even the ton of brown malt, just a perfect combination of the three that also blends perfectly with the yeast. The alcohol also seems to blend in at a perfect level as well.

I can't comment on the hop level because I can't pick them out of beers other than massive IIPA style, but they certainly don't detract from the recipe at all.

This is actually one of the rare brews where I don't have any comments on what I would change for the next time brewing. The closest thing I could use to describe the overall flavor would be "a spot on clone for Guiness Foreign Extra Stout".

I'm glad you're so pleased with this.  I'll be brewing it towards the end of June.  I have to go to Singapore and Indonesia for three weeks coming up in the near future.  Before that I'm spending two weeks driving to Montana and back.  So, I have one Oud Bruin to brew up and get started and 25 gallons to get into bottles before I fly to SE Asia.

I expected it to be more porter-like, instead of stout like.  It is on the high end of the gravity range for a porter though.  You've got me excited!!

Hey all!
Dissappointed to find that I cannot find some ingredients in my area.
The grains are the tough part with the pale chocolate & brown.
Everything else is available, but I want to do this exact. HELP! 

I found that Carafa I, dehusked is close to pale chocolate. and briess  makes special roast that is close to brown malt.
  I take it that you must not want to go though the mail order and shipping cost, I don't like paying that shipping charge myself. it's the main reason I do not use liquid yeast much.

I think I'm gonna brew a honey blonde ale next, but once my carboy is free ill do this one next. I might even use the yeast from this recipe so i have it ready to go.

Thanks All Grain. I thought that the aeromatic bries might work, but again. If mine isn't exact, then it is just another brew.
Scott, next time may I suggest that we look to brew with ingredients that are easy for all to obtain. I have 4 brew shops near me and none of them had these two grains, nor did they ever. So I have to believe that they are a bit exclusive.
Just a thought.
Next batch for me is a Ginger Bohemian Pilsner. A most excellent warm weather brew. I will bsm and send out.
Another brew day ahead.

well all I just started drinking the cal porter. I put some in a warmer place to carb up fast and it is ready and it is vary good beer. a small increase in the chocolate and some more bittering hopps and it would be the best
imho. I must say this beer will not last long around me. wish I could share one with ya all. 

I'm on my way!
I'm brewing a honey blonde ale next weekend. Im using the Burton yeast because I've never used it. But once i free up a carboy I'll brew this one. Hopefully ill brew it and have it kegged and carbonated before Scott brews his so we can drink it while brewing his batch.

I brewed this one and it's been carbonating for 4 weeks now.  It's imroved even more over the last two weeks.  It is very very good.  Smooth yet slightly thick and bold!  It came out almost exactly to the recipe on gravity start to finish.  It's a pretty beer and carries head retention all the way to the bottom of a pint!  I've had several and have shared it with friends and neighbors.  They are shocked that I could brew such a good easy drinking beer and say I should brew it again and again...so I will but I would like to brew a really good golden or brown ale and maybe a really good hoppy wheat for summer next and then do this one again.  Thanks to all the collaborators!  Cheers!!

Fantastic!  I'm glad it turned out so well for you.  Brewmex41 and I will be brewing this porter side by side at my house in late June probably.  So far, everyone that's brewed it has been happy with it.

Scott, you should copy and paste the recipe to the first post so its easier to find than searching for post #191
I'm gonna try and brew this this weekend. The magnum hops i have are 12.2% so ill move the oz to 60 min. I think I'll sub Simcoe for willamette and add the ekg at flameout.

Thinking about entering this into the Clark County fair, but im not sure exactly what category to submit it in.

12C. Baltic Porter is what I would say. only because of the higher og. the hops don't seam to much for this 12c style. I guess it depends on what your fg was.

Well.  I'm finally going to be brewing this up in the near future.  Brewmex41 and I will be brewing it at the Vancouver Brewfest in Esther Short Park at the Cascadia Brewers Alliance tent on August 10th.  If you live in the Portland, Oregon/Vancouver, WA area, please stop by and check us out.  I'll be there all day on the 10th and parts of the day on the 9th and 11th.

Here is the link to the brewfest.  http://vancouverbrewfest.com/

There will be about 27 breweries involved.  Live music throughout the festival and a whole lot of great craft and microbrewed beers to try.  Many of the best beers from this part of the country will be available.  You can learn about brewing, taste some top craft beers, listen to some of the best music this area has to offer and have a great time. 

Our tent is focused on the homebrewer and education.  We will have someone brewing each day of the festival.

We look forward to seeing some of you there!

Scott, that sounds great. I wish I could be there, I'd buy you a beer.

Practical demonstrations are a sure way to get people interested. I know everybody at the festival will be impressed with your knowledge and enthusiasm. Good luck with it and I hope you and Brewmex41 have a great time.

Back