• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.

Will you brew this?

• Total voters
I have 3 brew stores local to me, so I should be able to find the right chocolate malt.  I think that I can get it in 200L, 350L and 400L.

I think that the Lovibond should be the same for everyone though.

I would like to vote for pale chocolate malt. 180-220* lovibond. I think it would add a soft coffee/chocolate depth and would still leave room for another specialty grain. I would like to see this brew end up on the maltier side, with lower levels of roasty flavors you might get from a darker chocolate malt.

That is just my thought, here, folks.

just a update here on my end, I just talk to my suppler of grains about M.O malt. he gets crisp and the D.P is 140 on that so no problems converting there. crisp is what l'll be using. Of course I would not expect everyone to use the same base malt maltser and IMO we will get good feedback on the different suppliers malts, if we don't use the same ones. is this a good assumption or not?

all grain said:
just a update here on my end, I just talk to my suppler of grains about M.O malt. he gets crisp and the D.P is 140 on that so no problems converting there. crisp is what l'll be using. Of course I would not expect everyone to use the same base malt maltser and IMO we will get good feedback on the different suppliers malts, if we don't use the same ones. is this a good assumption or not?

I think it is.

http://www.crispmalt.co/content/brewery

I don't think for a minute that any MO is 140.  That approaching 6-row.  I learned a long time ago not to trust every hobo behind a counter.  I rely on malsters data.  Not saying it wont work, wish I never brought it up. 

Time to move on.

It seems we're going with 1# of 200L English Chocolate Malt.

Where were at now.

Running Total
10 pounds Maris Otter
1 pound of English Chocolate Malt 200L

I think I'm up next.

As before...

My suggestion is to add 1.5 lbs of Munich Malt to the mix, with an SRM of 9 as found in German Munich Malt.  This will fit with the Robust Porter style of an English version, as that would be the most likely used Munich Malt back in the day.  I don't think a U.S. Munich Malt is the best choice, although the U.S. 10L and 20L versions wouldn't be in appropriate. 

I use a lot of Munich Malt and find that it adds a deeper malty flavor to many of my beers.  I use it when I want to the maltiness and a little sweetness too.  I also like how the orange-amber color that it imparts, intensifies the colors of other grains (such as crystal, Black Patent, Chocolate, and Roasted Barley).

As far as the percentage of Munich Malt in the total grain bill, I think 8.5% to 10%.  I'm leaning towards the 8.5% in my mind.

I also think it will work well with the English Chocolate Malt.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

German Munich Malt is a fine choice. I've never used it myself but I've always wanted to. St Austell Tribute, one of my favourite cask bitters, uses a lot of it and it tastes great. I'd go for 10% myself. Porter needs a lot of malty caramel flavour. I think it will work perfectly with the other malts.

Light chocolate is also perfect. It's less harsh and has a more complex flavour than dark chocolate. It adds a nice amount of roastiness and a smooth, smoky, vanilla tone. I once made the mistake of adding some roasted barley to a Porter which turned it into a stout. It tasted great but it wasn't porter.

All Grain, your supplier was quite correct. Crisp MO does have a DP of 140 as stated on the Crisp website. I made an IPA a couple of months ago using 6Kg of Crisp MO and some White Labs WL007 Yeast. It took off like a bucket full of piranhas.

It's great that you guys are choosing malts available outside America otherwise I won't be able to brew it. Thank you.

The next grain choice will be crucial as it's the last. I'll then look forward to seeing what hops you blokes are going to choose.

So right now we are at
10lb MO
1.5 German Munich
1lb English Pale Chocolate malt

I am okay with the Munich addition as well and once everyone chimes in I think i will be able to make my last addition.

Right now I am getting these estimated stats:
OG: 1.060
Srm: 21
Roughly 6% abv but the fg on my recipe builder app is never right.

Hmm... right now, this is massive beer, with a ton of malt character, potentially rather sweet, and somewhat lacking in portery-ness. I'm at an OG of 1.074 and an SRM of 19.9, calculated for my system. I fear the pale chocolate (never brewed with it, so I'm not positive) is going to be a bit stepped on by the heavy-handedness of all the malt. Don't get me wrong--I'm way more of a malthead than a hophead--but I think there needs to be enough other things going on to have this assert itself as a porter, and not just a malty brown ale.

I think I'm the only dissenting voice so far, but I'll acquiesce to the majority. Interested to see what specialty #3 will be, as that's going to dictate the nature of this beer.

cmbrougham said:
Hmm... right now, this is massive beer, with a ton of malt character, potentially rather sweet, and somewhat lacking in portery-ness. I'm at an OG of 1.074 and an SRM of 19.9, calculated for my system. I fear the pale chocolate (never brewed with it, so I'm not positive) is going to be a bit stepped on by the heavy-handedness of all the malt. Don't get me wrong--I'm way more of a malthead than a hophead--but I think there needs to be enough other things going on to have this assert itself as a porter, and not just a malty brown ale.

I think I'm the only dissenting voice so far, but I'll acquiesce to the majority. Interested to see what specialty #3 will be, as that's going to dictate the nature of this beer.

What is your extract efficiency? I'm around 70% and getting 1.060

I'm calculating at 80% efficiency for a 5 gallon batch; I fly sparge my 5 gallon batches. This is why we'll have to adjust in the end based on percentages rather than avoirdupois once the ratios are settled.

Are you calculating for a larger batch? Even if I set my efficiency to 70%, I'm still at 1.065.

well this is interesting. with my software I get .070. 75%E. I think that this is all part of the group experience/ collaboration thing. we all do stuff a little differently. in the end  we may have to reduce some of the amounts a little to keep in style for robust porter.   

I should have mentioned I plan for 5.5 gallons, giving me 5 gallons in the keg.

OK, that makes more sense.

For the purposes of designing this recipe, it might be a good idea for everyone to set the same batch size and efficiency (and maybe we should be sure to use the same malt profiles, etc.); when it comes time to implement the recipe, you can then scale appropriately to your system and efficiency. This is helpful because, especially when it comes to the hop schedule, if Hop Person 1 is looking at a 1.058 recipe and Hop Person 2 is looking at a 1.074 recipe, they are likely to make very different selections for hop variety, amount and time.

all grain said:
I just talk to my suppler of grains about M.O malt. he gets crisp and the D.P is 140 on that so no problems converting there.

Quick note: I think you were given a Kolbach number, which isn't the same as Lintner. To be fair, there are pro brewers that don't realize there's a difference. MOPA malt is only fair to good for diastatic content. Current malt analysis for Thomas Fawcett is 63 Lin. Bairds is 55 Lin. Crisp states a minimum of 50 Lin.  This is enough to handle up to 30% non diastatic malts, as long as pH of 5.2 to 5.4 is achieved. Longer conversions can be expected outside of that range.

Edit: Crisp Malt spec sheet attached.

Attachments

• Crisp MOPA.pdf
    95.6 KB · Views: 172
Maybe once we pick the grain bill, we should jump to the mash temp.
Since that would actually come before the hop additions.

And maybe before we pick the mash temp, we should decide what we as a group want for expected original gravity and Srm with the given malts.

Do we want to assume a 5 gallon batch size then? Then I can scale my recipe up to 5.5 if I want.

brewfun said:
all grain said:
I just talk to my suppler of grains about M.O malt. he gets crisp and the D.P is 140 on that so no problems converting there.

Quick note: I think you were given a Kolbach number, which isn't the same as Lintner. To be fair, there are pro brewers that don't realize there's a difference. MOPA malt is only fair to good for diastatic content. Current malt analysis for Thomas Fawcett is 63 Lin. Bairds is 55 Lin. Crisp states a minimum of 50 Lin.  This is enough to handle up to 30% non diastatic malts, as long as pH of 5.2 to 5.4 is achieved. Longer conversions can be expected outside of that range.

Edit: Crisp Malt spec sheet attached.
yes, I was not sure what kolbach  and lin was nor do I yet. but I'm going to brush up on the terms. when I looked at the crisp spec I did not know what it all stood for. oh well that's why were here. thanks

My main goal when I came up with this idea was to help both new and experienced brewers learn.  It appears we're learning.

As for the batch size, I think most of us aim for 5.5 gallons into the fermentor.  Thus, I suggest we set 5.5 gallons for the batch size.

I think having a target OG and SRM is also a good idea.  As for what those targets should be, I don't have an opinion on that. 

Do we all agree with what we have so far?
5.5 gallons
I propose we all estimate 65% extraction efficiency because that's what Brew Your Own uses for all of their recipes and im sure there are plenty of us that subscribe to the magazine.

So far we have
Maris otter
Pale Chocolate
German Munich malts
We good?

Back