• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beersmith lite doesn't load detailed recipes from cloud

bcp

Apprentice
Reaction score
(Hope this is the right spot for this).
Purchased beersmith lite - very excited about this.

I can access my recipe titles via cloud.  Then when I try to look at the detailed recipe, it just says 'loading recipe from server' - and doesn't get any further. Help?

Is it doing it for all recipes or just a few?  Does it do it from the search as well?  I ask because a handful people have had problems with one or two recipes which I'm looking at.

If it is having trouble across the board then you may have a different problem such as an internet connection issue.

Brad

I have the same problem here: I can see my recipes but not the details. Additionally, I run the desktop version on Ubuntu and now can not see my cloud recipes anymore. I hope to see this little problems fixed because I'm a long time user and fan of Beersmith software! :)
Some information: Beersmith Lite is 2.01.019 running on Android 4.1.1 (Nexus S). Desktop version is 2.1.02 on Ubuntu 12.04.

Could you export a recipe or two to BSMX format and email them to me?  I would like to take a look at them and how they are moving to the cloud and then on to the mobile device.

Brad

I can't load any of the cloud recipes.  My connectivity works for everything else.  I'm not sure what you mean by from search. I can load them on beersmith my pc without any problems.

All of those recipes are public on the cloud under my username. 

BCP - I just did a search for several of your recipes and was able to download them on several Android devices including the simulator.  I was also able to copy them to the local and also my cloud account.  I even downloaded two of them to my iPhone directly from your cloud account.  What version of Android are you running?  I'm wondering if it is somehow related to an older version of Android?

sfraga - Could you either email me a BSMX file with one of the recipes you are having trouble with or share it on your cloud account?

I really do want to get to the bottom of this - thanks!

Brad

Brad, using Android:

1) I have copied one of the local sample recipe, BeerSmith's Wit, to my cloud and this one works great. I can see the details, start the timer, etc.

2) Regarding my own recipe, Fraga Weizen, I can just see the entry but the details doesn't open. I have shared this one so you can take a look, please. Maybe something with the missing ingredients? My desktop copy is complete so maybe something went wrong when uploading from Ubuntu to cloud.

Other thing: I can't anymore connect to cloud from my Ubuntu 12.04 (BeerSmith 2.1.02). Username and password are OK because I'm using the same both in the browser and Android. I'm not behind a firewall or something else.

Thanks for your support!

Sergio Fraga.

Sergio,
  Yes that did help a lot - I checked the online version of Fraga Weizen and indeed the copy stored in the cloud is actually an incomplete recipe.  Not sure if there was an error when transmitting it up to the cloud, but the stored record stops abruptly in the middle of the recipe.  When you get your account up and running try deleting that copy and uploading it again.

Regarding the connect to the cloud - could you try changing your password to something simple (letters and numbers).  I've had one or two people who were using a combination of complex characters (often foreign ones) have trouble logging in either from the program or their browser.  Not sure if this is the case here but thought we would give that a try.

Brad

Brad, changing the password for a one using just letters didn't work as well. Suspecting that my ISP modem/router is blocking the TCP port used by BeerSmith I changed my netbook WiFi connection from the one I use at home to a hotspot provided by my Android phone and... it worked! I could upload again my recipe to cloud and, using BeerSmith Lite on Android, can now see it with all the details.

Resuming:

1) Most probably the incomplete recipe was really a upload problem.

2) Could you tell me which TCP port BeerSmith uses to connect to its cloud so I can try to change my router configuration?

Thanks again for your support,

Sergio.

Hi,
  Its actually port 80 which is the same port your web browser uses.  BeerSmith essentially just makes web requests to our server to handle most BeerSmithRecipes functions using the standard HTML port.  I did it this way so that people would not have to configure their routers.

Brad

Brad,

So there is another problem of communication here. I return my notebook connection to my home WiFi and, at a first moment, it seems to work but when I tried to copy another recipe to the cloud I received an error message "Not Connected to the BeerSmith Recipes Server". Now, when I open the brower, I see this recipe SIX times, but all of them incomplete (for example, only one malt is there from a total of four). I have shared all of the six copies so you can take a look.

Thanks!

Sergio.

Thanks
  Could you email the original recipe (BSMX) by exporting it from within BeerSmith?  Right click on the recipe in BeerSmith, and choose "Export Selected" to save it to a file, then email it to me at my beersmith at beersmith.com address.

Unfortunately since the online version is incomplete I can't tell exactly what is going on.  If you send the BSMX file I can likely resolve this as it is probably a parsing issue.

Brad

I have a samsung galaxy s I19000, and the highest android it runs is 2.1, update 1.

If that's the problem, then it might be helpful to be clear in the 'Description' of the app:
1. You didn't state a minimum android version (except or ASUS tablets).
2. You also didn't state that this is a 'trial' version, and I will have to purchase the full version separately later. (Someone pointed this out and I found it somewhere on the website later). 

bcp,
  1. Actually it does show on the google play store Android 2.1 and up.  It should work on your device.
  2.  It is the "lite" version and the full version is separate. I don't think most other "lite" apps automatically include the "full" app without some kind of upgrade.

I am looking at trying to add an "in-app purchase" option for those who want to upgrade to the full version in place and only pay the difference in price but have not yet worked out all of the details of doing this.  It may be possible.

I'm still confused as to why you are having this problem.  Unlike the other user who has specific recipes with problems, I can view and open all of the recipes you shared on my Android and iPhone devices both using BeerSmith Lite.

Have you tried doing a simple refresh of the recipe listing and then downloading one of your recipes?  Also have you tried going to the search page (main menu->Search is the first entry) and searching for something like Stout?  Can you open the recipes you find on that page correctly or are those also stopped?

Brad

Ok, I can search for 'stout', get a full list of results, but have the same error trying to load them.

Under reference it loads ingredients like yeast and their descriptions. 

I'm confused.

(I'm also amazed at how much work you complete in the average day!)

BCP -

OK - I made some progress now.  There is a very minor issue (single line) that seems to have problems when I run the program on an Android 2.1 simulator.

I've actually corrected it and can send you a copy to test if you would drop me an email.  Once we confirm it is working I can update the in-store version as well to fix it.  Since it is only a one line change, I'm not too worried about it affecting anything else.

I really do try to be responsive - particularly to emails, but here on the forum as much as possible.

Brad

Back